Mean Machine off to flying start in Varsity League: UoNâ€™s Mean Machine off to good start in league
University of Nairobi’s (UoN) side Mean Machine started their Varsity League campaign with a 27-18 win over University of Eldoret (UoE) in a Pool B match at UoN Grounds yesterday.
Festus Shiasi struck a penalty to hand the hosts a 3-0 lead mid way through the first half before UoE restored parity thanks to Edwin Yatich’s penalty.
Machine retook the lead as prop Ben Mwangi powered his way to the try line but the resultant conversion went wide.
The UoN side were then dealt a blow after Trevor Asina was sent to the sinbin for a bookable tackle.
UoE did not take much time in utilizing their numerical advantage as Yatich converted Alex Mwange’s try to send his side 10-8 up at halftime.
UoE extended their advantage after resumption as Yatich maintained his one hundred percent kicking record with his second penalty of the match.
Asina scored an unconverted try for Machine moments after coming off the sinbin to reduce the deficit to one point and then sealed his brace with a try that was converted by Shiasi.
Tony Kajala sprinted to the try line to score an unconverted try for UoE before UoN responded through a converted try by Aaron Otieno to secure the win.
In other matches played yesterday, Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA) thrashed Technical University of Kenya (TUK) 44-14 to go top of pool B.
Egerton edged out Technical University of Mombasa (TUM) to take charge of Pool A pending the result of the match pitting Kenyatta University’s Blak Blad against Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT) who were due to face off last evening . Action heads to CUEA for the second round on October 6.
- Shock as Kenyan runner Abraham Kiptum is banned for four yearsAthletics 2 days ago
- Why Dope? What Abraham Kiptum is losing after four-year banAthletics 2 days ago
- Revealed: Mahrez could have been an Arsenal player…butGossip & Rumours 2 days ago
- Cancer survivor, father of three dies after boxing training session goes wrongBoxing 2 days ago
- Sterling dropped by England after clash with GomezFootball 2 days ago
- Man City to spend Sh11 billion to try catch up with Liverpool in JanuaryFootball 2 days ago
- Xhaka is NOT leaving Arsenal Football 2 days ago