Nairobi, Bungoma close in on pre-quarter final slots
Nairobi County and Bungoma football teams are on the brink of qualifying for the round of 16 of the ongoing inaugural County Assemblies Sports Association (CASA) games in Nairobi after winning their opening two matches.
Nairobi, who humiliated Elgeyo Marakwet 7-0 in their opening match on Monday, benefitted from a walk over yesterday after their opponents, Wajir, failed to show up.
Nairobi’s other match against Migori failed to kick off with the hosts accused Migori of fielding two ineligible players. The case was due to be determined by the Secretariat last evening.
Bungoma were victorious in their two Group D matches at KCB Grounds yesterday.
Hon Lusenaka (MCA, Bukembe West), Alfred Makokha and Dennis Mululu scored a goal each to inspire Bungoma to a 3-1 win over Nandi before thrashing Kajiado 5-0.
Lusenaka and Makokha were again on the score-sheet in the second game with Hon. Elvis Abuka (Milima), Hon. Kawa and Magasi also scoring.
Abuka could not hide his joy as he warned their next opponents.
“It was a great performance from the team. Based on how we played, I’m confident we will qualify for the quarterfinals. Our players are ready to deliver. We expect to win the remaining group matches,” Abuka told Standard Sports.
Bungoma will take on Machakos in their first match of the day today at KCB Grounds before facing Marsabit and Kiambu respectively.
In volleyball, Makueni women’s team has already advanced to the knockout stage of the competition after winning all their first three Group A matches at Kasarani, yesterday.
Makueni saw off Marsabit, Kisii and Kakamega by an identical scoreline of 2-0.
“We have done well, but we need to pull up our socks. We expect stiff competition at the knock out stages,” said nominated MCA Mbula Mutua. [Rodgers Eshitemi]
- Scorpions sting Vikings: KCAU hold Wazalendo to a 2-2 drawHockey 1 day ago
- Aged 51, George Weah comes out of retirement [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- What’s left of Conseslus Kipruto’s car after Tuesday night crash? [Photos]Athletics 5 days ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago
- Gor Mahia clinch KPL title with six matches left after 2-0 win over AFC LeopardsFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea boss Sarri gives statement on Hazard and Courtois futuresGossip & Rumours 2 months ago
- Did you know Kofi Annan played football as an attacking winger? [Photos]Football 1 week ago