Cristiano Ronaldo to make Juventus debut today
Cristiano Ronaldo will make his much-anticipated Serie A debut for Juventus who open their campaign for an eighth straight Italian league title today against a sombre backdrop of a country in mourning following the Genoa bridge disaster.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was the star signing of the summer season arriving amid great pomp and ceremony following a $117 million deal from Real Madrid.
But it could be a low-key start for the 33-year-old Portuguese superstar against minnows Chievo in Verona’s Stadio Bentegodi today on a day of national mourning for the victims of the Morandi bridge tragedy in the north-western port city.
The emotional impact of the disaster has led to the postponement of Serie A games involving local teams Sampdoria and Genoa who had been due to open their campaigns against Fiorentina and AC Milan.
But all other games will go ahead starting today — the day of the 38 victims’ funerals — with last season’s top two teams Juventus and Napoli in action.
A minute’s silence will be held before each match with the players taking to the pitch wearing black armbands.
Much is expected of Ronaldo’s presence in the Italian league this season after the low of Italy missing out on qualifying for the World Cup in Russia.
“He’s going to raise the level of the championship,” said Italian football legend Dino Zoff.
“Everyone can benefit. With Ronaldo all eyes will be on us and Serie A can regain ground. His purchase will result in the arrival of other big names to Serie A.”
Midfielder Sami Khedira said he was eager to play alongside Ronaldo again, and forget his own dire World Cup campaign where Germany crashed out in the group stage.
“I can’t wait to start the new season, and it’s also fantastic to be able to play with Ronaldo again after the time we shared together at Real Madrid,” Khedira said on Instagram.
“Despite the excitement for the new season though, this was one of the most difficult summers of my career.”
- Real Madrid’s plans for stunning Sh41 billion stadium revealed [Photos]Football 1 hour ago
- Olunga’s new club Kashiwa Reysol fighting hard to avoid relegationFootball 15 hours ago
- Sang: We won't phase out Kipchoge Keino's nameAthletics 12 hours ago
- Champions League Group A: Atletico shake off domestic woes to clinch comeback win at MonacoFootball 11 hours ago
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 11 hours ago
- Barcelona 4-0 PSV Eindhoven: Messi scores stunning hat-trick in Champions LeagueFootball 4 hours ago
- Sh1.1m raised for noble cause: Chebii swings to victory as Weru registers maiden course Hole-in-OneGolf 1 day ago