Netball: Kenya lose to hosts Zambia in continental opener
The Kenya national netball team to the African Championships cum World Cup qualifiers kicked off their campaign on losing note at the Olympic Development Centre in Lusaka, Zambia yesterday.
The hosts started the game on a high dominating the proceedings with their sleek passing to finish the first quarter with 15-6 points.
In the second quarter , Kenyan coach Jimia Babala made changes taking off shooter Salma Akinyi and replacing her with Hellen Sinoya. Ramadhan Pauline replaced Lilian in the defence, but still trailed the Zambians cheered on by their home crowd 17-24.
The Zambian side ended the third quarter with 38-28 before emerging victorious with 52-39 points.
“We’re didn’t take our chances well but we hope to change technique going to the second game against Namibia tomorrow (today). We don’t take it for granted that we are here knowing it’s been a bit of a battle for ourselves to get here, so we must keep on pushing,” said the Team Captain Parin Simuyu.On the opening day of the championships on Monday, Zambia ran over Bostswana, winning 50-43 points.
In other matches played yesterday already qualified Malawi beat Zimbabwe 79-41
Uganda beat Namibia 72-47 with their star player Peace Proscovia proving too hot to handle for the losers. [Dennis Okeyo]
- Manchester United look to go fourth with win at FulhamPremier League 1 week ago
- View the starting lineups and subs for the Man City vs Chelsea Football 5 days ago
- Tottenham fan guilty of throwing banana skin at Arsenal striker AubameyangFootball 1 month ago
- Petro Atletico leave Gor hurting after first loss Football 2 days ago
- Man United boss Solskjaer confirms surprise starter Against ArsenalFootball 3 weeks ago
- Mesut Ozil makes surprise transfer decisionFootball 2 weeks ago
- Who says Kenyan athletes can’t fall in love? You’re wrong [Photos]Athletics 1 week ago