Netball: Kenya lose to hosts Zambia in continental opener
The Kenya national netball team to the African Championships cum World Cup qualifiers kicked off their campaign on losing note at the Olympic Development Centre in Lusaka, Zambia yesterday.
The hosts started the game on a high dominating the proceedings with their sleek passing to finish the first quarter with 15-6 points.
In the second quarter , Kenyan coach Jimia Babala made changes taking off shooter Salma Akinyi and replacing her with Hellen Sinoya. Ramadhan Pauline replaced Lilian in the defence, but still trailed the Zambians cheered on by their home crowd 17-24.
The Zambian side ended the third quarter with 38-28 before emerging victorious with 52-39 points.
“We’re didn’t take our chances well but we hope to change technique going to the second game against Namibia tomorrow (today). We don’t take it for granted that we are here knowing it’s been a bit of a battle for ourselves to get here, so we must keep on pushing,” said the Team Captain Parin Simuyu.On the opening day of the championships on Monday, Zambia ran over Bostswana, winning 50-43 points.
In other matches played yesterday already qualified Malawi beat Zimbabwe 79-41
Uganda beat Namibia 72-47 with their star player Peace Proscovia proving too hot to handle for the losers. [Dennis Okeyo]
- Champions League: Late Firmino strike gives Liverpool 3-2 win over PSGFootball 6 hours ago
- Athletics: Kinyua appointed Meru Sports Council chiefAthletics 6 hours ago
- Two football fields on top of a church building in NairobiFootball 1 day ago
- Motorsport: Weekend Hill Climb competition postponed due to unforeseen reasonsSports 6 hours ago
- KPL: Sharks maul limping Leopards in MachakosFootball 6 hours ago
- Basketball: KPA’s trip to Tanzania in doubtBasketball 6 hours ago
- Sh1.1m raised for noble cause: Chebii swings to victory as Weru registers maiden course Hole-in-OneGolf 1 day ago