Netball: Kenya team off to Zambia in search of Africa honours
Kenya national netball team left the country last night for the Africa Championships cum 2019 World Cup qualifiers in Lusaka, Zambia.
The squad comprising 14 players and ten officials will be gunning for continental honours for the five-day tournament that starts today.
The Kenyans will look to seal a place to the global showpiece slated for Liverpool, United Kingdom, in July next year.
Seven countries Namibia, Kenya, Botswana, Uganda, Malawi, Zimbabwe and hosts Zambia will battle it out for African glory with two top teams set to join Malawi and South Africa who have already sealed their place at the World Cup by virtue of being the top ranked teams in Africa.
Head coach Jimia Babala expressed optimism that her side will emerge top: “We have a young and versatile side eager to impress. We are confident the team will do well in Lusaka.”
Captain Parin Simuyu who plays for Kenya Prisons Service said: “We have covered great ground in training and ready to show Africa what we are made of. The players are ready. The will and morale to do well at the tournament is there.”
Kenya last participated in the continental arena at the All African Games in Maputo, Mozambique in 2011. Having failed to remit affiliation fees to the world and continental governing bodies, Kenya was sidelined. With a new office in place and fees paid Kenya is back in the fold.
“The previous office was not remitting the affiliation fees to the International Netball Federation thus attracting sanctions. So, Kenya was sidelined and were not getting invitation to participate in international tournaments,” said Millicent Busolo, the Kenya Netball Federation Secretary General said.
The new office chaired by Immaculate Kavutha came to office in April this year. [Dennis Okeyo]
- Thunder break into Equity Bank safeBasketball 6 days ago
- Messi pictured for first time since breaking arm [Photos]Football 2 weeks ago
- Hockey: Amira share spoils with JKUAT in City ParkHockey 1 month ago
- Red card what? Ronaldo cleared to face Man United in the Champions LeagueFootball 1 month ago
- How Kenyans threw caution to the wind in CricketCricket 3 hours ago
- Deejays tune-up ahead of Safari SevensRugby 6 days ago
- Jose Mourinho caught on camera speaking to January targetPremier League 1 week ago