SportPesa Premier League: Sony Sugar shock hosts Ulinzi Stars at Afraha
Sony Sugar beat Ulinzi Stars 1-0 at Afraha Stadium, Nakuru, thanks to Enock Agwanda’s powerful strike.
Ulinzi Stars came closest to an equalizer in the 75th minute but striker Elvis Nandwa glanced wide a header when scoring looked easier than missing.
In an evenly balanced clash, Sony Sugar took their chance just before half-time when the former Gor Mahia and Sofapaka striker picked his spot from 18-yard mark to beat goalkeeper Jacktone Odhiambo.
Ulinzi came back a rejuvenated side in the second half, but poor finishing was their main undoing even after a string of substitutions. Coach Dunstan Nyaudo sent in Enosh Ochieng, Elijah Mwanzia and Mark Bikokwa in place of Oscar Wamalwa, Cliff Kasuti and Justin Onunga but there was no way through for the military men against the sugar millers.
“I thought we should have had an outright penalty after one of Sony defenders handled the ball in the box with two minutes to the final whistle,” Ulinzi coach Nyaudo told Standards Sports.
Sony tactician Patrick Okumu was happy with the maximum points while describing their opponents as a tough side.
“It was not easy to collect the maximum points from a Ulinzi. All in all this results boosts our morale going into the next match,” said Okumu.
Sony Sugar takes on Kariobangi Sharks in Nairobi in their next match on Saturday. [Ben Ahenda]
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 9 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo red card: What Juventus star said to referee revealedFootball 10 hours ago
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 8 hours ago
- Paul Pogba showers Jose Mourinho with praise following Champions League winFootball 4 hours ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 12 hours ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 1 day ago