Golf: Siblings top leader board in Coast Open
They sat down, planned and executed it with precision. And the two siblings and conquered the 2018 Ladies Coast Open Golf Championships at the par 71 Mombasa sea link course on Friday.
The Muthaiga golf club’s siblings Kelli Gachaga,18, and 13-year-old Jaimee Gachaga won 2018 silver and bronze medals respectively.
Kelli, handicap four and who leaves for the United States Little Rock’s University of Arkansa next week carded two over par 73 gross to win Mombasa Cup Ladies title.
Her victory came after sinking four rare birdies at the par five-eighth, the par four-ninth, the par four-thirteenth and the par five-seventeenth holes before adding ten level pars in both nines against four mixed bogey shots.
“I thank my family for their support and walking with me throughout my golfing journey. I am happy for the victory," said Kelli, the 2017 Kenya Ladies Champion.
Standard Group sponsored the 18-hole medal event that attracted 98 ladies from golf clubs across the country including Tanzanian lady golfers.
Other sponsors were Stanbic Bank, Ethiopian Airlines, ANJBA lounge, Kericho gold, Huawei and Friends of the Club’s lady Captain Mary Mariga.
KItale’s handicap three Naomi Wafula emerged runner up on a count back with 81 gross after tying on the same score with third-placed Tanzania’s handicap three Madina Idd, who is also the 2018 Kenya Open Ladies Strokeplay Champion.
Playing off handicap 22, Jaimee carded a count back score of 94 gross to lead the bronze division after tying on the same score with the Club’s Chairman handicap 21 Jayne Githere who was the runner up while Muthaiga’s handicap 21 Rita Njeru settled for the third slot with 96 gross.
Club Lady Captain thanked the Kenya Ladies golf Union (KLGU) for bringing back the event to the club after two years (2016-2017) absence when it fielded three lady caddies against the rules of the Union.
The Ladies were winding up the week-long event yesterday at the Mombasa course playing a fun match with their families and friends in a mixed green somes format.
This year’s ladies Coast open started on Monday at Diani’s Leisure lodge in Kwale County and Tanzanian Angel Eaton won with 76 gross.
It then went to Nyali course in Mombasa County on Tuesday and Wednesday. [Maarufu Mohamed]
- Athletics: Ayabei, Kipchumba win inaugural Rimoi half marathonAthletics 1 hour ago
- Kenyan champions K’ogalo face-off with Everton in historic SportPesa Trophy matchFootball 1 month ago
- Chelsea end Man City's unbeaten run with 2-0 winFootball 1 day ago
- Messi pictured for first time since breaking arm [Photos]Football 1 month ago
- Football legend Pele attacks Lionel MessiFootball 3 days ago
- KDF disarm Prisons wardens at KasaraniVolleyball and Handball 1 week ago
- Alexis Sanchez ‘lonely and ignored’ at Man United, only speaks to three teammatesPremier League 3 weeks ago