Alisson still wanted by Chelsea who are prepared to pay £70million to beat Liverpool to signing of Roma goalkeeper
Chelsea are desperate to beat Liverpool to the signing of Roma's Brazilian goalkeeper Alisson.
The Anfield club made a £62million bid on Tuesday as they look to replace their error-prone No.1 Loris Karius.
But Chelsea are prepared to pay £70m for the Brazil international and also outdo the Reds on wages. They will send a team to Rome to negotiate with the Serie A club.
Should they beat Liverpool to Alisson's signature, it will spell the end for Thibaut Courtois at Stamford Bridge.
He has a year left on his contract and is wanted by Real Madrid.
The Champions League winners have held talks with Chelsea over a move for Courtois, who has just one year left on his contract — the Blues are willing to sell this summer rather than risk losing him on a free in 12 months time.
While they will demand £50m for a keeper who won the Golden Glove award for the best keeper at this summer's World Cup, Madrid view the Belgian as a cheaper alternative to Alisson, who they were also previously interested in.
Alisson's valuation by Roma is more likely to be met by Chelsea.
Roma are determined to drive a hard bargain for their stopper after they feel Liverpool shortchanged them over Mohamed Salah last summer.
They want in excess of £66m for his signature.
Liverpool’s offer is believed to consist of £53m up front with another £9m in add-ons for the 25-year-old.
Roma have yet to say if they will accept Liverpool’s offer and talks between the clubs are ongoing.
Liverpool are confident of securing agreement and solving the biggest headache Klopp has in his team.
Klopp defended Karius in the wake of his calamitous display in Kiev, claiming he was suffering from concussion.
But Karius has started pre-season poorly and Klopp has decided he must act.
The offer is a sign of Liverpool’s ambition and the offer will smash the record for the world’s most expensive goalkeeper.
But the deal is far from done with Chelsea ready to pull the trigger on their approach.
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 10 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo red card: What Juventus star said to referee revealedFootball 11 hours ago
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 8 hours ago
- Paul Pogba showers Jose Mourinho with praise following Champions League winFootball 5 hours ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 12 hours ago
- Gary Neville warns Paul Pogba, fuels transfer speculationPremier League 1 week ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 1 day ago