Arsenal Confirm Signing of Borussia Dortmund star
Arsenal have signed Borussia Dortmund defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee, the Premier League club announced on Monday.
Papastathopoulos, who has 79 caps for Greece, is new Arsenal boss Unai Emery's third major signing of the summer following goalkeeper Bernd Leno from Bayer Leverkusen and defender Stephan Lichtsteiner from Juventus.
"Arsenal is one of the biggest teams in the Premier League," Papastathopoulos told the club's website https://www.arsenal.com/news/sokratis-papastathopoulos-signs. "It has a lot of fans and a very big history and I am very happy to be here to help the team."
British media reports said that the centre back had signed a three-year deal with the option for a further 12 months after finalising a move for a fee in the region of 16 million pounds ($21.01 million).
The 30-year-old, who won two Bundesliga titles and one German Cup, will wear the number five shirt for Arsenal, the club said.
- It’s very hard to respect Sarri - shock Chelsea defender’s confessionFootball 2 weeks ago
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to axe eight Man United starsFootball 1 month ago
- Five players who could restore Man United's glory in an instant Football 1 day ago
- Man City star spotted in night club at 3:30 am - hours before Premier League match [Photos]Premier League 1 month ago
- Manchester United unveil amazing new kit[Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Liverpool set new record after tense win against Cardiff Football 1 month ago
- Kenyan team off to Ivory Coast for Africa showAthletics 1 month ago