Schools: Kwanthanze too good for Kyatune in finals
National and East Africa girls’ volleyball champions Kwanthanze reigned supreme as the 2018 Eastern Region Secondary Schools Term Two Games ended yesterday at Kitui School. Kwanthanze made light work of Kyatune to ease to victory in straight sets of 25-4, 25-3 and 25-6.
Kwanthanze coach Justine Kigwari said they were not fully challenged at the regional games and were expecting stiff competition at the nationals. “We won all our matches convincingly but my girls were not properly challenged and I believe that our real test will be at the national games,” Kigwari said, adding that they focus on their national title defence.
In boys volleyball, Gatunga from Tharaka Nithi beat Kyenire 3-1 to lift the title Gatuanga who had eliminated last year’s regional winners and national semi-finalists Kangundo, who also dominated the game from the onset taking the first set 25-18. However, the miscalculated in the second set allowing Kyenire to restore parity after taking the second set 25-23. They bounced back to take the third set 25-15 before sealing 25-20 victory in the fourth set.
In netball, Syumile secured their return to the nationals after beating Kirigara 57-25. Syumile will return to the national after missing last year’s championship staged in Mombasa.
In girls Under-19 football Matuu Memorial edged Chogoria 1-0 to be crowned champions. Matuu will return to the nationals after missing the last three editions.
Chogoria were twice unlucky as they fell 2-0 to Mua Girls in Under-16 final. [Elizabeth Mburugu]
- Two France fans die in Moscow during violent World Cup celebrationWorld Cup 2018 3 hours ago
- France 4 - 2 Croatia: Identity of World Cup pitch invaders REVEALEDWorld Cup 2018 16 hours ago
- France beat Croatia to win 2018 Fifa World Cup in MoscowWorld Cup 2018 16 hours ago
- France vs Croatia lineups as Fans arrive ahead of World Cup Final World Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Football legends join Dalic in condemning referee decisions in World Cup finalWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- Kenya tops medal table on the final day of World Athletics Under-20 ChampionshipsAthletics 11 hours ago
- World Cup focus now turns to QatarWorld Cup 2018 11 hours ago