Chaos in Germany as referee calls for half-time before checking VAR and awarding penalty - dragging players BACK out to take spot kick
A Bundesliga match descended into chaos as the referee awarded a penalty during half-time after checking the VAR.
In the match between Mainz v Freiburg, referee Guido Winkmann called for the spot kick to be taken after blowing the whistle for the interval.
It happened after the ball was handled in the visitors box - but strangely enough no players called for a penalty to be awarded at the time.
The official then went into his dressing room and ordered both sides back out on to the pitch in order for the set piece to be taken.
The goal time stood at 45+7 with Mainz's Pablo de Blasis converting to make it 1-0 to the hosts - before both sides then went straight back down the tunnel.
It's the latest in a long line of VAR decisions which have led for calls for the technology to be scrapped, with Premier League clubs delaying it's use next season.
20 teams met last week and despite video technology being used at this summer’s World Cup, it won't be used in England's top-flight.
They will, however, carry on the experiment next season with more VAR games in cup competitions and the possibility of it being used in the Premier League as a trial run with the results not being used.
Club bosses also want to explore more use of big screens to inform the crowds and getting messages that VAR is being used on PA tannoys.
A Premier League statement said: “The decision came after comprehensive discussions regarding the progress made in VAR trials in English football, and key learnings from the many competitions using it elsewhere.
“The clubs agreed that advanced testing will continue to the end of season 2018/19 to make further improvements to the system, especially around communication inside the stadium and for those following at home and around the world.
“The Premier League will also be asking for VAR to be used more extensively in the FA Cup and Carabao Cup in season 2018/19.”
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 1 hour ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 5 hours ago
- Kenya moves up five places in latest FIFA rankingsFootball 52 minutes ago
- Tottenham captain pleads guilty to 'drunk-driving' [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 22 hours ago
- Usain Bolt can be good defender – World Cup-winning coachFootball 1 week ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s epic response after teammates told him Messi is betterFootball 1 week ago