Tribute to Matiba: Football fraternity mourns visionary first FKF boss Matiba
The football fraternity in Kenya has come out to mourn the late opposition leader Keneth Matiba who died on Sunday at a Nairobi hospital.
Football Kenya Federation (FKF) president Nick Mwendwa said the late Matiba had laid a good foundation of leadership at the federation when he was the chairman.
“He was one of the former federation presidents who laid a good foundation for the management of FKF. He used his personal resources to do this and for that we are grateful and take this opportunity to condole with his family,” said Mwendwa.
Kenya Football Referees Association (KFRA) chairman GMT Ottieno termed the late Matiba as a shrewd and focused administrator who excelled in everything he was involved in.
“He was a gentleman per excellence that had an ear to any person irrespective of status. As Chairman of FKF, he arranged visits to Kenya of such great teams like Norwich City, Notts County from England, Eintracht Frankfurt, and Bayer Leverkusen from Germany
Long before even Caf and Fifa thought of developing referees, Matiba from his own resources arranged for a referees instructor sent by Fifa to come and train Kenya referees, I being one of the beneficiaries of that training,”
Former FKF chairman Sam Nyamweya also sent his condolences. “We as the football family remember the late Matiba for his big contribution towards the game when he served as the Federation Chairman and also the first Chairman of the then Kenya National football League.
“He is credited for introducing professionalism in football administration that saw our national team Harambee Stars gain recognition on the World map.
“I was greatly inspired by his managerial acumen when I took over the helm of football and continued to build on his foundation,” said Nyamweya.
- Mourinho FINALLY reveals why they were beaten by Liverpool Football 4 hours ago
- Muhammad Ali’s son: I expected to inherit Sh516m after my father’s death, now I’m surviving on less than Sh700 a dayBoxing 1 day ago
- Football: How Kenyans left others hurting in Copa tournamentFootball 16 hours ago
- LaLiga star suffers stroke, rushed to hospitalFootball 1 month ago
- Polo: Lachlan win Ndume title in Gilgil tiesSports 16 hours ago
- Kenya battle Zambia for final berthFootball 3 days ago
- View Starting Lineups - Liverpool vs Man Utd at 7pmFootball 22 hours ago