Massimiliano Allegri reveals the club he wants Juventus to avoid in quarters
Juventus were on the verge of elimination at the hands of Tottenham after Son Heung-min 39th goal to make it 3-2 on aggregate in the second leg of the Champions League at Wembley.
The Old Lady were psyched up in the second-half of the match and the introduction of wing-backs Stephan Lichtsteiner and Kwadwo Asamoah ignited the momentum in their favour.
In the 64th minute of the game, Gonzalo Higuain scored for Juve before Paulo Dybala netted the deciding goal just three minutes later to knock Spurs out.
However, Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri is praying and hoping to avoid Spanish giants Barcelona in the quarter-finals citing that his side have been meeting Barcelona in the league every year and it should now stop.
‘The only team that I don’t want are Barcelona, because, every year, Barcelona, Barcelona, Barcelona. Now stop!’ He told Viasport Fotball.
Juventus knocked the Catalans in the quarter-finals last term and lost in the final to Barca in 2015.
Allegri believes Real Madrid and Barcelona are the favourites to win the Champions League but will ensure they also compete.
‘People talk about Real Madrid and Barcelona, who are perhaps up there with the favourites,’ he said.
‘But that doesn’t mean that we’re not going to be able to compete.
‘Bayern Munich are another team that can do some damage further down the line.
‘For the time being, we’re happy with where we are and happy to compete at this level.’ He added.
- Man United hero set to make shock move to another Premier League clubFootball 3 days ago
- Decision made on Fellaini’s hair pulling incidentFootball 4 days ago
- Mourinho delivers bad news to Manchester United about winning the titleFootball 2 days ago
- Shujaa vow to be the last team standingRugby 7 hours ago
- Kenyan girls delight in big stage momentFootball 7 hours ago
- South Africa among potential Afcon hostsFootball 7 hours ago
- Liverpool striker facing lengthy ban after reports that he placed a bet Football 17 hours ago