Basel 0 - 4 Manchester City: Ruthless City finish off Basel in 23 minutes
Manchester City effectively killed off their Champions League tie against FC Basel after 23 minutes on Tuesday, flattening the Swiss champions with three quickfire goals on their way to a 4-0 away win.
Ilkay Gundogan, Bernardo Silva and Sergio Aguero scored within nine minutes of each other in the last 16 first leg tie to almost certainly extend Basel's wait for a first quarter-final appearance in the competition.
Gundogan curled in the fourth from the edge of the area in the 53rd minute as the runaway English Premier League leaders clocked up another emphatic win in their remarkable season.
Basel did their best to make a game of it and created several openings but looked vulnerable every time City attacked.
- Dortmund’s Pulisic not for saleFootball 11 hours ago
- Golf: Ndung’u wins inaugural LSK tournament in Nakuru Golf 1 day ago
- Trouble again! Bad news about Sanchez at Manchester UnitedFootball 1 day ago
- Unbeaten Selecta are Division One champsFootball 10 hours ago
- Kite wins Spain cross country, Zakayo finishes secondAthletics 10 hours ago
- Meet Susanna Dinnage – the most powerful woman in footballPremier League 5 days ago
- Equity Bank retain national league titleSports 10 hours ago