Kenya face South Africa in Main Cup quarters: Amonde, Ouma and Oliech disorient French side
Kenya beat France and Wales at the Sydney leg of 2017/2018 HSBC World Sevens Series.
Kenya will face South Africa in the Main Cup quarters at Sydney Sevens, the third leg of the 2017/2018 HSBC World Sevens Series, at Allianz Stadium in Australia this morning.
Former captain Andrew Amonde, who returned from injury, proved he was no pushover in last two group matches as he injected confidence to Shujaa side, who beat France 17-14 in their second match. France managed two tries and two conversions.
Amonde and Nakuru RFC flanker Oscar Ouma alongside versatile Samuel Oliech disoriented the French side, allowing Kenyans to touch down three times with a conversion.
The two sides staged a tough duel and Shujaa eventually had the last laugh.
But today’s encounter is expected to be explosive as the Kenyan side are determined to prove their mettle and go past South Africans after they tripped in the first match which they lost 7-5 to Argentina.
In their second match, Kenya soaked 2009 World champions Wales 26-12 to finish second in the group with seven points from three matches.
Their qualification to the Main Cup quarterfinals must have elated head coach Innocent Simiyu after they picked a paltry three points in Cape Town Sevens in December.
It re-energised Shujaa’s confidence ahead of the Hamilton Sevens in Canada set for next weekend.
Argentina, who defeated France 19-12 in their final Pool B match after they had earlier smashed Wales 28-21, topped the pool with nine points from three matches.
France and Wales dropped to the Plate contest after they failed to qualify for the knockout stages of the Main Cup.
- Malkia Strikers WhatsApp group admin locks out ‘vichwa ngumu’Volleyball and Handball 14 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo will face Manchester United, even after red cardFootball 15 hours ago
- Why status quo must remain in the Premier League this weekendFootball 5 hours ago
- Tottenham coach confirms he could be fired within a weekPremier League 10 hours ago
- Migne names Stars squad for Ethiopia Afcon qualifierFootball 4 hours ago
- Ronaldo’s red card was down to an absurb hallucination – World Cup-winning coachFootball 8 hours ago
- Senior KPL coach and star player in silent war over hot slayqueenFootball 13 hours ago