Jose Mourinho tells Man United that £300million spending spree 'not enough' to compete with rivals City
Jose Mourinho has told Manchester United they must spend more if they are to have any chance of keeping pace with rivals Manchester City.
Mourinho watched his United side stumble again in their pursuit of City, then claimed the £286million spent by United in two summers under him is not enough, with the Blues having forked out £360m in the same period under Guardiola.
Jesse Lingard scored twice – including an 91st-minute equaliser - to salvage a draw, but Mourinho said United will never be a big team again until they match City in terms of spending.
“It's not enough, it's not enough,” said Mourinho, when reminded United had spent close to £300million under him.
“Manchester City buy the full-backs for the price of the strikers, so when you speak about big football clubs, you are speaking about the history of the club.
“And the price for the big clubs, the price for the big clubs is different from the other clubs, so the big, historical clubs are normally punished in the market for that history.”
United have taken eight points from five games and will be 15 points adrift of City if Pep Guardiola's side win at Newcastle to make it 18 straight Premier League victories.
“When you say a club like Manchester United, do you think Milan is not as big as us?” said Mourinho.
“You think they are not as big as we are? Do you think Real Madrid are not as big as we are? You think Inter Milan is not as big as we are?
“There are many big clubs and you say big clubs - I know what is a big club.
“One thing is a big club and another thing is a big football team that you know is not one of the best teams in the world.
“So when you speak about responsibilities to win the Premier League, Tottenham does not have that responsibility?
- England beat Tunisia 2-1 in World Cup group gameWorld Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- Basketball: Kenyan national junior teams off to Zone Five qualifersBasketball 9 hours ago
- South Africa-based Nduva wins Kenya Amateur Match play ChampionshipGolf 15 hours ago
- Kiprono survives early scare in Karen Masters qualifiersGolf 1 day ago
- Croatian striker sent home for ‘refusing to play’ in Nigeria winWorld Cup 2018 19 hours ago
- Eagle-eyed viewers spot the brilliant thing Southgate said just before Kane's first goal vs TunisiaWorld Cup 2018 1 hour ago
- Boxing: Stage set for first national leg Boxing 9 hours ago