Serena Williams to play French icon Jelena Ostapenko in Abu Dhabi as they eye history in UAE
American tennis icon Serena Williams is set for a come-back to the court months after delivering her first baby, at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
The 23-time grand slam champion will lock horns with French tennis star and Open Champion Jelena Ostapenko in a historic battle, after having won Australian Open in January.
UAE media outlet The National reports that Williams is set to defend her Melbourne title, and the match may provide a good ground for her come back. While speaking to the press, Serena Williams expressed her delight and showed her dedication to the match.
“I am delighted to be returning to the court in Abu Dhabi for the first time since the birth of my daughter in September,” Said Williams.
However, this match has more to it than Williams’return to the court. It will be the first time that women championship will be hosted in Abu Dhabi. The tennis icon also persuaded the fans to grab the opportunity and attend the match.
She said that she is happy to be part of history making by making a foundation for aspiring female tennis players in Abu Dhabi. Organizers exuded confidence that having Serena Williams participate in the tournament is not only a rare treat for the fans but a fulfillment of their commitment to developing the sport.
- Golf: Njoroge claims 2018 Nyali trophyGolf 1 day ago
- Golf: Bollo bolts team to Safari tour Victory Golf 1 day ago
- Ndege, Mariga brave raging winds to bag Jamhuri titlesGolf 1 day ago
- Jurgen Klopp sends message to Jose Mourinho after Manchester United sackingFootball 5 hours ago
- UEFA Europa League draw - round of 32 draw resultsFootball 13 hours ago
- Police look into alleged anti-Semitic chanting after Chelsea matchFootball 1 day ago
- Mourinho FINALLY reveals why they were beaten by Liverpool Football 1 day ago