Athletics Kenya has not done enough to educate athletes on doping issues admits Tuwei
Athletics Kenya (AK) president, General Jackson Tuwei has admitted that AK has not done enough in educating athletes on doping issues.
Speaking in Nairobi on Thursday afternoon at the AK headquarters, the Athletics Kenya president however raised his concerns even after the World Athletics governing body IAAF cleared Kenya from their doping monitoring list.
“We have not done enough especially when it comes to educating our athletes. We are happy as AK that at least IAAF has cleared Kenyan athletes, but our federation has a lot to do when it comes to educating them. It is clear that they have a long way to go when it comes to substance use and random tests,” Tuwei said and adding that the federation has officially announced that starting November 2nd 2017, there will be a massive campaign against doping.
“We cannot blame these athletes for not knowing, honestly that would be a mistake. They train in groups that have coaches and other supporting staff to complete the athletes support. The support staff should be in charge of what the athlete takes in his or her body during training. They are supposed to have knowledge of all the rules and regulations from WADA,” a disappointed Tuwei said.
The Athletics Kenya boss had earlier on warned that any athlete who fails to comply with the regulations from KDN will not be allowed to represent Kenya in competitions. By so doing, the temptations of great financial incentives from over sees races would now be curtailed and controlled from Athletics Kenya headquarters.
Kenya now hopes that the Athletics federation will try its best to wipe clean the already tarnished name of its great athletes. Tuwei has promised the world of athletics that Kenya will regain its glory days of winning big athletics events.
- Gor Mahia fined – again!Football 6 hours ago
- Yaya Toure’s agent leaves fans shocked with latest ‘witchdoctor’ tweet on GuardiolaPremier League 4 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo red card: What Juventus star said to referee revealedFootball 7 hours ago
- Paul Pogba showers Jose Mourinho with praise following Champions League winFootball 1 hour ago
- Kipchoge has extra-ordinary muscular and mental strength – renowned athletics coachAthletics 8 hours ago
- Tottenham captain pleads guilty to 'drunk-driving' [Photos]Football 1 week ago
- Jose Mourinho explains why his captain will not play against Young Boys tonight Football 1 day ago