Original Ronaldo is no longer the supreme athlete he was at his peak as Real Madrid's legends beat Roma 4-0
Say 'Ronaldo' to any football fan on Earth today, and they immediately think 'Cristiano'.
That didn't used to be the case. 15-20 years ago, the name 'Ronaldo' belonged to the world's greatest, most exciting and most devastating centre-forward: Ronaldo Luís Nazário de Lima.
A World Cup, two Ballon d'Ors, pace, power, skill and a deadly finisher… the 'original' Ronaldo (as he is often unfairly referred to) remains a hero at some of Europe's biggest clubs. However, the Brazilian No9 holds a special place in the heart of Real Madrid, the club for whom he played the most games (127) and scored the most goals (83) in his career.
That is why Ronaldo was invited to be part of the Real Madrid Legends side who took on Roma at the Bernabeu on Sunday, in front of a 67,000 crowd.
Real's Legends - whose line-up included Galacticos like Luis Figo, Roberto Carlos and Raul - won the match 4-0, largely thanks to a brace from Fernando Morientes and a brilliant, trademark free-kick from Luis Figo.
However, while Morientes and Figo haven't changed much, the same cannot be said of 'original' Ronaldo.
Given that he's long since retired, it's hardly surprising Ronnie has put on a bit of timber… but the change in him is quite dramatic.
Hopefully Michael Owen doesn't see these pictures - otherwise he might make another cruel joke about his former Real Madrid team mate's weight…
- Liverpool fans stranded ahead of Champions League finalFootball 18 hours ago
- Soccer officials ferry slay queens and girlfriends on foreign tripGossip & Rumours 1 day ago
- Liverpool out to topple RealFootball 13 hours ago
- Ulinzi in bid to gun down rivals to reclaim title Football 13 hours ago
- What Beckham asked Zidane to do ahead of Champions League finalFootball 19 hours ago
- Injured defender confident of playing at World CupFootball 13 hours ago
- Mane paints hometown red by donating 300 Liverpool shirtsFootball 22 hours ago