Jailed footballer Nile Ranger to face investigation over Cheik Tiote social media post
Jailed footballer Nile Ranger could face a probe after a tribute to former teammate Cheick Tiote appeared on his Twitter account.
The 25-year-old ex-Newcastle striker was handed an eight-month jail term two weeks ago for conspiracy to defraud.
It is illegal for prisoners in British jails to post from social media accounts while behind bars or to have mobile phones, although it is unclear whether it was Ranger who uploaded the post.
Tiote tragically died aged 30 after collapsing in training with his team Beijing Enterprises earlier this week.
The Instagram post read: “Sad to hear the news about my brother Cheick Tiote.
“He would go through a brick wall and give you a two footed tackle in training a day before a cup final!
“What a guy though, top man and a professional. My condolences go out to his family.”
The post attracted more than 2,400 likes with some users questioning whether Ranger had written it from behind bars.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence told the Southend Echo: “This behaviour is unacceptable and we are working to get the content removed from social media. The prison is also investigating.
“It is a criminal offence to bring a mobile phone into prison, or transmit sounds or images from within a prison using a mobile phone. These offences carry a maximum penalty of two years in prison.”
Ranger started his career on Tyneside, scoring three goals in 62 games for the Magpies.
Loan spells with Barnsley and Sheffield Wednesday followed before he enjoyed the most prolific spell of his career at Swindon Town, netting 10 times in 28 games for the Robins.
He left the County Ground for Blackpool before moving to Southend where he played 25 times last season, scoring eight goals.
- Kenya Sevens coach Simiyu sackedRugby 1 day ago
- Fans shocked by what Messi did in Argentina's defeat by Croatia in World CupWorld Cup 2018 12 hours ago
- Cristiano Ronaldo: Why I am growing a beard this World Cup seasonWorld Cup 2018 1 day ago
- Death threats sent to Colombian midfielder Sanchez after he was red carded World Cup 2018 10 hours ago
- Senegal defender confirms Sarri’s move to ChelseaWorld Cup 2018 9 hours ago
- Sterling reveals the incredible story behind why he turned down ArsenalFootball 5 hours ago
- Messi and Aguero to retire from international football if Argentina flop out of World CupWorld Cup 2018 6 hours ago