Wenger mulls second chance for 'great player' Wilshere

Arsene Wenger is weighing up whether to end Jack Wilshere's Arsenal exile after the injury-plagued England international's latest fitness setback.

Wenger sent Wilshere on loan to Bournemouth earlier this season in a bid to give the midfielder a chance to prove his fitness and form after several seasons of injury problems.

But the 25-year-old suffered a fractured leg during Bournemouth's defeat at Tottenham and will be out for the rest of the season.

Wilshere appeared as a substitute in two of Arsenal's opening three Premier League games before discussions with Wenger led to him leaving on a temporary deal.

He made 27 appearances during a solid spell at Bournemouth and, with just over a year remaining on his deal at Arsenal, Gunners boss Wenger will wait until the end of the campaign before deciding if Wilshere gets a new contract in the close season.

"It's a very simple fracture of the fibula. We need patience. Let's hope that all goes well," Wenger, whose own future at Arsenal is also up in the air, told reporters on Thursday.

"That (Wilshere's contract) is something different. This injury is nothing to do with the extension of Jack's contract.

"We haven't entered into any negotiations yet. I think with all these cases, when there's only one year to go, it's done during the break."

Wenger admitted it was frustrating to see Wilshere, once touted as the brightest of England's young stars, hampered yet again by injury problems.

Asked how he felt when he heard of the injury, Wenger replied: "Sad because Jack is a great football player with a great football brain.

"His career has been stopped by many injuries. Today at the top level, the most important thing is the consistency of the presence.

"When a player's been out for a while, the game is of such an intensity that it always takes you a while to get your confidence back."

Wenger said Wilshere will remain at Bournemouth for treatment until the end of his loan agreement, when he will then start the rehabilitation process back at Arsenal's London Colney headquarters.

"I've followed the situation closely because he sees a specialist. We think it's a very simple fracture that doesn't need any surgery at all," Wenger said.

"Hopefully he will be back in July for normal training."

Next Story
LATEST STORIES
African Nations Cup to be moved to June/July from 2019

The African Nations Cup will move from January to June and July from its next staging in Cameroon in 2019, and be expanded from 16 to 24 teams, the executive committee of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) decided on Thursday.

Neymar stirs renewed PSG fever

Neymar's decision to post a photo of himself in thoughtful contemplation sparked a fresh wave of speculation that he is on the verge of sealing a world record 222-million-euro ($256.8 million) move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain.

Conte confirms Diego Costa has no future at Chelsea

Chelsea striker Diego Costa was told in January that he would not feature in the Premier League club's plans for the upcoming season, manager Antonio Conte said on Friday.

Barcelona manager Valverde quashes Neymar 'rumours'

Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde, who will lead the club for the first time in Saturday's pre-season match against Juventus, has dismissed speculation linking Neymar with a move to Paris Saint-Germain.

Continental tournament also moved to June from February

Kenya started the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers on the wrong footing after losing 2-1 to Sierra Leone, but the country now has a realistic chance of playing in the competition following an increase in the number of qualifying teams to 24.

More Stories
African Nations Cup to be moved to June/July from 2019

The African Nations Cup will move from January to June and July from its next staging in Cameroon in 2019, and be expanded from 16 to 24 teams, the executive committee of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) decided on Thursday.

Neymar stirs renewed PSG fever

Neymar's decision to post a photo of himself in thoughtful contemplation sparked a fresh wave of speculation that he is on the verge of sealing a world record 222-million-euro ($256.8 million) move from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain.

Conte confirms Diego Costa has no future at Chelsea

Chelsea striker Diego Costa was told in January that he would not feature in the Premier League club's plans for the upcoming season, manager Antonio Conte said on Friday.

Barcelona manager Valverde quashes Neymar 'rumours'

Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde, who will lead the club for the first time in Saturday's pre-season match against Juventus, has dismissed speculation linking Neymar with a move to Paris Saint-Germain.

Continental tournament also moved to June from February

Kenya started the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers on the wrong footing after losing 2-1 to Sierra Leone, but the country now has a realistic chance of playing in the competition following an increase in the number of qualifying teams to 24.

Stern test for All Stars in Spain: LaLiga Tour Select team wind up tour against Seville Atletico

Kenyan Premier League select team face Sevilla reserve team today.

Tour of LaLiga: SportPesa invite Malaga coaches to train All Stars

Malaga CF youth development coach Diego Vera Ideota has described the Kenya Premier League All Star players as “coachable” after a training session at La Cala Golf Resort.

Manchester City are facing a transfer ban

Manchester City are facing the threat of a transfer ban over their pursuit of French sensation Kylian Mbappe.

Arsenal and Mesut Ozil closing in on a new contract

Arsenal are increasingly hopeful they will be able to reach agreement on a new contract with Mesut Ozil.