SOYA AWARDS GET MASSIVE BOOST: Kenya Tourism board joins bandwagon to make it big
With just a week to the thirteen edition of the Sports Personality of the Year Awards (SOYA), Kenya’s corporate world continues to boost the initiative with Kenya Tourism Board (KTB) leading the way with its Sh1.5 million sponsorship yesterday.
The event, a brainchild of former world marathon record holder Paul Tergat also received Sh1 million from the National Social Security Fund (NSSF) and Sh500,000 from Nairobi-based fashion house Vivienne Taa.
Speaking during the cheque presentation ceremony, the panel of judges chairman Watson Karuma applauded the support they have received so far just as the public voting in the categories comes to a close today, Thursday.
“Last year was very competitive in the world of sports and as we make final preparation to get the winners to be announced next Thursday, we hope to award the best performers. We are also very grateful for the support we have received from organisations. We believe it will further inspire sportsmen and women to greatness,” said Karuma.
Kenya Tourism Board’s Head of Corporate Communications, Wausi Walya, noted the importance of sports as a strong brand that puts Kenya on the world map.
“The strength of sports as a brand is immense, especially athletics and rugby which have continued to raise Kenya’s flag high. And that’s why KTB has continued to associate with Soya Awards” Walya said.
NSSF’s Christopher Khisa said their organisation's contribution confirms the desire to work with sports men and women in the country and instill the culture of saving for their future considering sports is a short career.
Also for the first time this year, the hosts and ushers at the event will be dressed by a fashion house after Vivianne Taa chipped in with Sh500,000 sponsorship.
The winner of the Sports Personality of the Year will bag Sh1 million.
- KVF gets Sh1m from KCB ahead of play-offsVolleyball and Handball 2 days ago
- Netherlands forward Depay an injury doubt for key Euro matchFootball 2 days ago
- LEAKED: Chelsea players to part with Sh2.6 million if they miss trainingFootball 2 days ago
- Arsenal decide Unai Emery’s fateFootball 2 days ago
- Age is just a number! Footballers in happy relationships with way older girlfriends [PHOTOS]Football 2 days ago
- AFCON: How Salah has increased Kenya’s chances of beating Egypt Football 2 days ago
- Sacked, shunned and suicidal - the Cameroon sports stars battling anti-gay lawsFootball 2 days ago