Koech runs away with 400m hurdles title
Hurdler Harun Koech produced his personal best in 400m on the final day of the three-day Athletics Kenya national championships yesterday at Kasarani Stadium.
The meeting was also being used by AK to select a team to represent Kenya at the 20th edition of Africa Senior Championship in Durban from June 22 to 26.
Representing Kenya Police, Koech, a brother to world 400m hurdles champion Nicholas Bett, produced his personal best of 48.99 to beat a rich field that included the Word championship fifth finisher Boniface Mucheru (49.84) of Kenya Defence Forces and Kiprono Kosgei (50.07) of Police.
“I’m happy to make the team to Africa Championships. I will be aiming for a podium finish and nothing less. After that, I will focus on securing my ticket to the Olympics. Here, I will try to make it to the final. You know, I didn’t have good techniques last year, but I still made it to World Championships. This time round, I have worked on those errors and I’m ready” said Koech.
In the corresponding women race, Prisons’ Maureen Jelagat won in 57.39 followed by Jane Chege (58.70) of KDF, while Nairobi’s Betty Chelagat was third in 60.72.
In men’s 10,000 former Africa 10,000m, champion Kenneth Kipkemoi shook off a strong challenge from Prisons’ Wilfred Kimitei, the winner of 2016 First Lady's Marathon and KDF’s duo of Stephen Arita and Emmanuel Kipsang to win the race in 27:52.1.
- Jose Mourinho to make Premier League return if Newcastle takeover goes throughFootball 1 week ago
- Real Madrid agree Sh11 Billion fee for Chelsea's HazardGossip & Rumours 1 week ago
- Guardiola reacts after Tottenham beatingFootball 2 months ago
- Pacquiao trains son for boxing career, leaves wife in tears [Photos]Boxing 2 months ago
- Migne’s faith drives OdhiamboFootball 1 week ago
- Formula One: Hamilton and Bottas warned by Mercedes chiefSports 1 month ago
- 5 games that won Man City the Premier leagueFootball 1 month ago