Kipkemoi, Chepkoech win Egerton cross-country titles
Bernard Kipkemoi and Caroline Chepkoech are this year’s winners of Mau Egerton cross-country championships.
Kipkemoi clocked 29:50.0 to claim victory in senior men’s 10km race, while Chepkoech retained the title in 34:32.5. For the trouble, both winners pocketed Sh50,000 as prize money.
Peter Kipkemei in 29:50.3 was second, ahead of Elvis Kipkoech 29:59.0 in third. Isaac Kipkoech (30:18.0) was fourth, while Charles Kimeli (30:19.3) finished fifth.
Risper Chebet was second in the women’s 10km race in a time of 35:03.4 ahead of Faith Chepkoech (35.17.5), Caroline Kilel (35:22.8), Vicoty Chepkemoi (35:26.6) and Joan Ayabei (35:40.2).
The top six finishers received cash prize awards from Egerton University Vice Chancellor Rose Mwonya in the ‘Run For Mau’ race.
Andrew Lorot, a form four student at Riruta Secondary School in Nairobi clocked 23:34.4 to win the junior men 8km race, ahead of Kipngetich Gideon of Cheptoroi.
“I won the race through hardwork and I must thank the God for that victory. For now, my focus is to qualify for Rio Olympic Games and the struggle for that has already started,” Lorot said.
Lorot is chasing an Olympic qualification in the 10,000m and is determined to face challenge from the usual big guns.
The Standard Group was the Media sponsor in the one-day competition that attracted over 1,500 runners.
Finishing third in the junior men 8km was Amos Kirui of Keringet in a time of 23:46.4 ahead of Davis Kiplangat (23:47.2).
- Husband and wife keep getting richer and richer after winning jackpot for third time Sports 4 days ago
- Man United’s Paul Pogba a shock inclusion in PFA team of the yearFootball 1 month ago
- Pep Guardiola gives huge update about Griezmann joining Manchester CityFootball 1 week ago
- Iten to host relays national trialsAthletics 1 month ago
- Six top footballers dating women way older than themFootball 1 month ago
- Why Liverpool will not be given real cup if they win Premier LeagueFootball 2 weeks ago
- Upper Hill trounces Laiser Hill to lift rugby 7s titleRugby 1 month ago