Rudisha man to beat in 800m race at trials
Having skipped the local track and field competition, Olympic 800m champion David Rudisha will finally grant his fans a rare show at Kasarani Stadium tomorrow as he seeks a ticket to the World Championships.
Rudisha will lead a team of 21 athletes seeking to make the team during the Athletics Kenya national trials. It will be his first show on Kenyan soil this season.
Since his return from injury late last year, he has not hit top form and has watched helplessly as Botswana’s Nijel Amos trounced him on six occasions in the Diamond League and the Commonwealth Games.
But as he prepares to launch his bid to recapture the title he last won in 2011 in Daegu, Korea, there is a feeling of certainty that the gap between him and Amos has closed down quite considerably and he has a realistic chance of clinching gold during next month's Word Championships in Beijing.
Rudisha missed the 2013 World Championships with an ankle injury and is hungry to return to the top.
“My legs are stronger now and even though I am not happy with my performances this season, I really want to win in Beijing,” Rudisha said.
He started his season in Melbourne and Sydney in March and although a muscle sprain at the Golden Spikes Grand Prix in Ostrava, Czech Republic in May caused a brief worry, he has since shaken it off and competed in New York, Lausanne and London.
At the national trials, there seems to be no formidable challenge to dethrone him from his reign in the two-lap race.
“Trials are always explosive and unpredictable. But I believe it will be a good race and hopefully, I will get the best partners as we head to Beijing,” he added.
Challenging him at the national trials will be Job Kinyor, who has never made the Kenya team since he graduated from the junior ranks. Also in the mix for tickets is Ferguson Rotich (1:43.92).
- IDPA shooting: Free clinic at Kirigiti on tomorrowSports 1 month ago
- Boxing news: Mike Tyson's response when asked if he would beat Anthony JoshuaBoxing 1 month ago
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer 'ready to sell' Anthony MartialFootball 1 month ago
- Neymar linked with SHOCK return to Barca- thanks to Ousmane DembeleFootball 2 weeks ago
- Manchester United identify De Gea replacement…but…Football 1 month ago
- 7 Days to GO! Good news for Harambee Stars in latest FIFA rankingsFootball 3 days ago
- 2019 London Marathon: What is at stake for Kenyan runners?Athletics 1 month ago