Sports Secretary Japhter Rugut leads mediation in rugby as government moves in
|Bush Mwale #5 of Kenya outruns Ramiro Finco #6 of Argentina to score a try during the USA Sevens Rugby tournament at Sam Boyd Stadium on February 15, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Kenya won 24-21. Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP|
Sports Secretary Japhter Rugut was yesterday appointed to lead mediation between Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) factions.
Some 30 clubs met last week (Tuesday) and resolved to send the entire KRU board packing, and have a former vice chairman, Sasha Mutai, named to lead an interim committee to run the sport for a year and organise elections.
But the Government took charge of the sport yesterday and appointed Rugut to spearhead mediation between Mutai’s side and the one led by acting chairman Gabriel Ouko.
“Yes we met both boards today - the KRU board and the one which purportedly came into office. A decision was made that we should set a date next week to try and bring them together,” Rugut told FeverPitch.
“I was appointed to lead the mediation process and we hope for the best. The decision to agree on the way forward will have to come from them,” he said. The meeting was chaired by Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario.
WEEKS OF TENSION
The special general meeting was the culmination of weeks of tension in KRU during which four leading officials, including chairman Mwangi Muthee, resigned. The Patrons Society also raised issues regarding the management of the sport and blamed certain officials of conducting themselves inappropriately.
Meanwhile, the Kenyan team that took part in the Las Vegas Sevens is expected to return this morning. The team will arrive at 6am and head to Ole Sereni Hotel for breakfast, officials said.
The team maintained their 12th position in the IRB World Series after bagging eight points. Kenya won the Bowl competition after beating Argentina 24-21, taking the tally to 29 with four legs remaining.
- Sancho not booked for Floyd protest, slogans being reviewed, says DFBFootball 1 day ago
- Motorsport: WIM Kenya to support young racersSports 1 day ago
- Kahata explains the difficulties he faced while trying to return to Tanzania for the league resumptionFootball 2 days ago
- Rugby Africa resolves to cancel 2020 seasonRugby 1 day ago
- Former Bradford winger in court over alleged sex offence against girl aged 14Football 1 day ago
- Odion Ighalo set to extend Man United stay until January 2021Football 2 days ago
- Five Barcelona players 'tested positive for COVID-19' - but club kept results hiddenGossip & Rumours 1 day ago