Sports Secretary Japhter Rugut leads mediation in rugby as government moves in
|Bush Mwale #5 of Kenya outruns Ramiro Finco #6 of Argentina to score a try during the USA Sevens Rugby tournament at Sam Boyd Stadium on February 15, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Kenya won 24-21. Ethan Miller/Getty Images/AFP|
Sports Secretary Japhter Rugut was yesterday appointed to lead mediation between Kenya Rugby Union (KRU) factions.
Some 30 clubs met last week (Tuesday) and resolved to send the entire KRU board packing, and have a former vice chairman, Sasha Mutai, named to lead an interim committee to run the sport for a year and organise elections.
But the Government took charge of the sport yesterday and appointed Rugut to spearhead mediation between Mutai’s side and the one led by acting chairman Gabriel Ouko.
“Yes we met both boards today - the KRU board and the one which purportedly came into office. A decision was made that we should set a date next week to try and bring them together,” Rugut told FeverPitch.
“I was appointed to lead the mediation process and we hope for the best. The decision to agree on the way forward will have to come from them,” he said. The meeting was chaired by Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario.
WEEKS OF TENSION
The special general meeting was the culmination of weeks of tension in KRU during which four leading officials, including chairman Mwangi Muthee, resigned. The Patrons Society also raised issues regarding the management of the sport and blamed certain officials of conducting themselves inappropriately.
Meanwhile, the Kenyan team that took part in the Las Vegas Sevens is expected to return this morning. The team will arrive at 6am and head to Ole Sereni Hotel for breakfast, officials said.
The team maintained their 12th position in the IRB World Series after bagging eight points. Kenya won the Bowl competition after beating Argentina 24-21, taking the tally to 29 with four legs remaining.
- Betika launches BetikaNaCommunity projectSports 2 days ago
- Bulgaria coach resigns after fans subjected England's black players with racist abuse Football 2 days ago
- Atalanta coach furious after leading scorer injured ahead of Man City clashFootball 2 days ago
- Everton 2 – 0 West Ham: Resurgent Everton outclass West Ham to end losing runFootball 1 day ago
- Man United job isn't too big for me, says SolskjaerFootball 1 day ago
- David Luiz reveals the club that can challenge Liverpool to win EPL title this seasonFootball 1 day ago
- Alonso silences Newcastle taunts as Chelsea climb to thirdFootball 1 day ago