National team has rich history in continental volleyball
|Kenya's Esther Wangechi celebrates getting a point against Mozambique.Photo/Dennis Okeyo|
Volleyball women is one of the two team sports, the others being sevens rugby and cricket, that have taken Kenya to the world stage in recent decades.
National women's team that was first formed for the purpose of 1987 All African Games held in Nairobi has established itself as a force to reckon with in the continent over the last two decades.
The pioneer players who set a strong foundation for Kenya's volleyball were Margaret Indakala, Ann Wekhomba, Lucy Fataki, Njeri Onyango, Grace Mulongo, Eunice Kagogo, Nereah Ouma, Emily Kusimba and Truphosa Lai.
This team of players finished runners-up behind Egypt at the 1987 All African Games.
Egypt was then a dominant force in continental volleyball, but Kenya turned formbooks upside down when the team upset Egypt to win 1991 All African Games title in Cairo.
Kenya, ever since the 1991 victory against Egypt, would then ascend to the throne of African volleyball to date.
The women's side has represented Africa more times at global stage than any other team on the continent.
The team has featured in great events like Olympics, FIVB World Championships and World Cup among others.
Every generation that takes over the baton keeps the fire burning in continental volleyball.
The current generation of players includes talented stars like setters Jane Wacu and Janet Wanja, middle blockers Bracksides Agala and Ruth Jepngetich, attackers Everlyne Makuto and Esther Wangeci.
Kenyan women have not only reigned supremacy at national team level but also at club stage as well.
Teams like the defunct Posta, Kenya Pipeline, Prisons and KCB have dominated African Club Championships.
- Juventus 'hold Paul Pogba talks' Football 1 day ago
- Manchester United accidentally ‘announce’ transfer of goalkeeper [Photos]Football 6 hours ago
- Kenya Simbas ready to roar againRugby 18 hours ago
- Kimanzi: Emerging Stars coach says his side can make Olympic historyFootball 18 hours ago
- Arsenal fans receive BAD NEWS on Welbeck’s injuryFootball 42 minutes ago
- Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane resign from Republic of Ireland jobFootball 3 hours ago
- Did you know Lionel Messi’s first Barca contract was written on a napkin? [Photos]Football 7 hours ago