Sony Sugar teams rule Nyanza volleyball
By Oscar Pilipili
Kenya: Sony Sugar women and men’s volleyball teams are the only sides from Nyanza playing at the national level.
Sony men’s team is currently playing in Kenya Volleyball Federation (KVF) National Division Two league ranks.
Their women’s side is featuring in the tournament as they prepare to join KVF division one league next year.
Men’s team manager Chrispin Onyango said they are determined to finish among top three teams in Division Two league and qualify for top-flight volleyball.
The team proved that they are ripe to play at higher level after they lifted Aphia Plus Cup Tournament Series ‘B’ category in Nyeri seven days ago.
Onyango said: “Sony men’s team is the only one from Nyanza playing at national stage.”
“Every member of the team is determined to see that we play at higher level next season and we’re on track to achieve the goal,” said Onyango.
“We want to emulate our football team (Sony Sugar who are featuring in Kenyan Premier League) and play top flight volleyball,” he said.
According to women’s team manager Jacinta Okello, they are using national tournaments taking place around the country to prepare for Division One league next year.
“Our participation in national tournaments is aimed at preparing the team for division one league,” she said.
Okello said their objective is not only to participate in the league but also tap and nurture volleyball talent in the region.
Although most players from Nyanza prefer basketball, Nyanza has produced great names like Japan-based Godfrey Okumu, Forest Rangers coach Patrick Owino and Pipeline’s attacker Roseline Odhiambo.
Sony teams are among entries expected to play in third leg of the National League/Amaco International Tournament scheduled for June 14-16 at The Eldoret Polytechnic.
KVF has since praised Sony Sugar management for their great efforts towards developing volleyball in the region and Kenya in general.
KVF chairman Waithaka Kioni said they have opened negotiations with Sony Sugar to have one leg of the league staged in South Nyanza.
- Gor Mahia coach Dylan Kerr resignsFootball 1 day ago
- Rally: KNRC battle moves to Machakos CountySports 16 hours ago
- Harambee Stars’ AFCON race is not done until fat lady singsFootball 2 weeks ago
- Xavi reveals who between Neymar and Mbappe is closer to reaching Messi’s levelFootball 1 week ago
- I earn an indecent amount of money at PSG – Kylian MbappeFootball 4 days ago
- How Cristiano Ronaldo shocked team-mates after Juventus win at Manchester UnitedFootball 2 weeks ago
- Everton give K'ogalo a beating at Goodison ParkFootball 1 week ago