Illicit brew trading back in Njoro, residents claim
| Jan 4th 2022 | 2 min read
Residents in Njoro sub-County have raised concerns over the return of illicit brew, just a month after eight people lost their lives after allegedly consuming a killer brew.
Sources told The Standard that traders in Konza village were back in business.
According to a source, the traders engage in their business early in the morning, despite warnings from the government.
“They have mastered new tricks. They bar consumers from drinking in their compound and are now selling the brew between 6 am and 7 am,” he said.
He said consumers of the brew visit the areas one by one with polythene bags and leave with brew, which they consume in different places.
“Last week Saturday, the neighbours complained of smell coming from one of the joints. Later, one of the consumers showed me a brew in a nylon paper bought from the joint,” said the source.
Local leaders refused to comment but didn’t deny the claims that the illicit trade was back in the area.
When The Standard team did a spot-check in one of the areas on Monday morning, it was deserted.
Last month the county and national government ordered the destruction of dens.
Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya led a raid on the dens on December 7, 2021, and ordered structures demolished.
During the raid, police recovered the illicit brews under the bonnet of a stalled vehicle at one of the residences.
Nakuru Governor Lee Kinyanjui oversaw the demolition of the houses, after which angry residents set ablaze a vehicle belonging to one of the suspected traders.
In December, Natembeya said that disciplinary measures would be taken against the local administration and police officers accused of laxity.
Two bodyguards on spot over alleged torture, killing of beehive thiefKericho DCI are investigating an incident where bodyguards of a senior politician reportedly beat a suspected thief to death, left another injured.
President Uhuru's legacy projects on a roll as ahead of the August electionThe contractors are working around the clock to complete the megaprojects before President Uhuru exits office in August.
Kimemia settles for engineer, Ruto picks 24-year-old woman
- What Ukambani Region stands to gain if Azimio wins August polls
- TIFA: Raila-Karua ticket more popular than Ruto-Rigathi pair
By David Njaaga
- Ukambani leaders fear Kalonzo exit may cost area Azimio goodies
- KANU reaffirms commitment to Azimio, to unite all member parties
- Siaya Gov. race: Charles Owino leaves Gumbo midway, returns to police service