Uhuru, DP Ruto in Bomet for Laboso funeral mass
By Jael Mboga and Mireri Junior | August 2nd 2019
Bomet Governor Joyce Laboso's funeral mass is underway at the Bomet Green Stadium.
Leaders present included Deputy President William Ruto and Opposition leader Raila Odinga.
Security was heightened inside and outside Bomet Green Stadium as President Uhuru Kenyatta joined mourners at the second requiem mass for Laboso.
“The security is top-notch because we will have many visitors including the Head of State himself,” Rift Valley Regional Commissioner George Natembeya told the media on Friday morning.
Former Bomet Governor Isaac Ruto was also present at the service officiated by the Africa Gospel Church.
Others were Kitui Governor Charity Ngilu, her Uasin Gishu counterpart Jackson Mandago, Kirinyaga's Anne Waiguru and Health CS Sicily Kariuki.
Speakers eulogised Laboso as a humble person but a great achiever.
A public viewing of the body was scheduled later in the day.
Also to attend the mass are the two speakers of the two Houses - the Senate and National Assembly - and a host of MPs.
After a memorial service on Thursday at All Saints Cathedral in Nairobi, Laboso’s body was flown to her Sotik home before being moved to the Stadium for the mass.
Laboso will be laid to rest on Saturday at her Kisumu home.
The governor served as Sotik MP from 2008 to 2017 when she contested for the Bomet county seat and won.
She succumbed to cancer on July 29 at Nairobi Hospital.
More details to follow
Chepkoech, Kiyeng through to steeplechase final as Korir disqualified in 400m men heats
- Why Harold didn’t make it to the Olympics
By Peter Theuri
- It’s a day of ups and downs for Kenya at Olympic Stadium
- No Kenyans in 800m finals as Moraa misses mark in semi-finals
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession