William Ruto family was away, but what was the raiders’ motive?
By Standard Team
| July 30th 2017
Deputy President William Ruto’s family members away during Saturday’s daring attack.
This was even as the motive of the attack remained unclear, with senior security officers led by Rift Valley Regional Coordinator Wanyama Musiambo remaining tight lipped.
The DP, who had left the home for campaign rallies in Trans Nzoia and Narok when the attackers struck, stayed away from the incident when he addressed a series of rallies Saturday.
Ruto occasionally spends at the home and according to his close aides, security is relaxed whenever he is around as he usually considers his rural home safe.
Last year, the DP hosted delegations from across the country at the residence.
“Whenever he is around, he does not move around with a high number of security personnel as he feels he is at home and heavy security could curtail his interaction with locals,” said a resident.
Labourers are usually at the home which enjoys round-the-clock security from the General Service Unit.
They work on a poultry project run by the DP’s wife, Rachel.
Ruto’s other relatives, including his mother Mama Sarah Samoei, reside in another homestead seven kilometres away. The DP is constructing another multi-million residence at the Elgeyo border farm, also in Uasin Gishu.
Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen said the DP, though a bit shaken, was strong during their campaign rallies Saturday.
“The DP is a strong man and we are happy that he is safe,” said Senator Murkomen.
Uasin Gishu Senator Isaac Melly said it was shocking how the attackers gained access to the home.
He said the incident on the second-most powerful person in the country was a major lapse and called for enhanced security for VIPs.
Meshack Tuwei, a neighbour who was among the first people to arrive at the scene, said the compound is usually heavily guarded and the assailants must have schemed well to gain entry.
“It is difficult for anyone to access the home because security personnel are always there, it seems the plan to enter as hawkers may have outwitted the unsuspecting officers. We are, however, calm because more officers have been deployed,” said Tuwei.
Report by Karanja Njoroge, Silah Koskei and Michael Ollinga
Male student, 17, dies in girls’ secondary school dormitory
- Boniface Mwangi house destruction: What we know so far
- Police clarification on bar operating hours after Uhuru lifts curfew
- Nairobi marabou storks lose their home to Expressway
- Postmortem examination performed on Masten Wanjala’s body
By Micah Sali
- DP William Ruto on a charm offensive in Western