National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) Assistant Secretary Stephen Soi has hailed a decision by the High Court to overturn a decision disbanding the organisation.
The court on Monday said Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario had no authority to disband Nock.
Justice George Odunga in his ruling termed Wario’s move as ill-informed, illegal and driven by ulterior motive.
Soi said yesterday that the ruling is a big win for the rule of law and pointed out that Nock can now freely move on with its activities.
“I want to praise the judge for his ruling since this is what we have always maintained. It has proved the independence of Nock as an institution. Now we can move on with our activities,” he said.
Soi further added that prior to the ruling, Nock had no authority to call for a Special General Meeting (SGM) where its draft constitution is to be passed.
“Because of Wario’s action, we did not have the authority to call for any legal meeting as our fate was hanging in the balance. Now we are free to go on with the meeting,” he said.
Soi also confirmed that Nock’s accounts have also been proven but he is not sure whether it had anything with the disbandment of the organisation.
Wario disbanded Nock last year after the Rio Olympic games following hue and cry over how Team Kenya was treated during the three week competition.
The government also charged a number of Nock officials including Soi with among other things misuse and theft of funds meant for the team’s preparation.
Elsewhere, Nock has called another meeting with its stakeholders as the process to amend its constitution continues.
However, Kenya Table Tennis Association chairman Andrew Mudibo is unhappy with the slow pace the process is taking.
Mudibo has also taken issue with some of the clauses inserted in an agreed document presented to the International Olympic Committee. Ideally Nock elections are supposed to be held next month but this will depend on whether the constitution is passed this month.
VIDEO 1 month ago
VIDEO 2 months ago
VIDEO 2 months ago