Six Al-shabaab militiamen were killed by special forces in Jirole area, Garissa County. Officials said one suspect was captured alive in the raid last Friday morning.
North Eastern Regional Commissioner Nicholas Ndalana said they had mounted operations locally to stop any planned attacks.
“The one who was captured is being interrogated as the operations go on,” he said.
The special forces had been deployed to the area following reports that the terrorists were using the route to sneak into Kenya and launch attacks, especially on security agents and non-locals.
Officials said five armed Al-shabaab militiamen were spotted on Saturday heading towards Borehole and were likely to plant explosives on the roads. Another group of 11 was sighted along Kutulo-Wargadud route.
- 1 Anniversary: Why Somalia needs national biometric registration system
- 2 Cuba denies doctors kidnapped in Kenya have been freed
- 3 Al-Shabaab release two Cuban doctors abducted last year
- 4 Four people injured as suspected Al-Shabaab gunmen attack bus in Mandera
“It is likely the two groups were targeting vehicles on the said routes, either by use of IED or ambushes,” said a local security agent.
Ndalana said they had increased patrols in the area. The threats come days after two people were killed and two went missing after an attack by the militants in Mandera.
Officials say up to 20 people have been killed in separate terror-related attacks by the militants in the area in the last two months.
Between January and February 16 attacks have been reported in Garissa, Lamu, Mandera and Wajir counties.
President Uhuru Kenyatta last month gave the North Eastern region leaders 14 days to come up with an amicable solution on security challenges in the region. The president told the leaders the ongoing terror attacks were homegrown and must be addressed by the locals.
The terrorists have previously targeted security patrol units, communication masts (BTS), non-locals, especially teachers and public service vehicles.