Senate summons Yatani over delayed disbursement of funds to counties
By Wainaina Ndung’u | June 12th 2021
The Senate has summoned National Treasury Cabinet Secretary Ukur Yatani to explain a cash crunch in counties.
Senate Speaker Kenneth Lusaka, in a letter dated June 7, 2021, wants Yatani to appear before the Committee on Finance and Budget on June 15. “Kindly note that should you fail to attend the meeting, the Senate will be constrained to exercise its powers...,” the letter says.
Finance and Budget Committee chairman Charles Kibiru said they were yet to get a response or undertaking by the CS on Tuesday’s session. The House team first invited the CS for May 26 session, but the Treasury requested it be rescheduled. Mr Kibiru said they want the CS to explain why counties are regularly facing delayed disbursements from the Treasury, almost paralysing the devolved units.
A schedule shows the devolved units were yet to receive Sh103.2 billion of the allocations for 2020/2021 financial year, including Sh29.7 billion carryover from the 2019/20 year.
Nairobi County and the Nairobi Metropolitan Services were owed Sh12 billion.
Italian Jacobs wins men's 100m gold at Tokyo Olympics
- Olympics: Rotich and Korir reach 800m final as Saruni misses out
- Ferdinand Omanyala breaks national record, but fails to make finals
- Chepkoech, Kiyeng through to steeplechase final as Korir disqualified in 400m men heats
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession