× Digital News Videos Health & Science Opinion Education Columnists Lifestyle Cartoons Moi Cabinets Kibaki Cabinets Arts & Culture Podcasts E-Paper Tributes Lifestyle & Entertainment Nairobian Entertainment Eve Woman TV Stations KTN Home KTN News BTV KTN Farmers TV Radio Stations Radio Maisha Spice FM Vybez Radio Enterprise VAS E-Learning Digger Classified Jobs Games Crosswords Sudoku The Standard Group Corporate Contact Us Rate Card Vacancies DCX O.M Portal Corporate Email RMS

Cop returns to camp 17 days after vanishing during raid on Al-Shabaab hideout

By Mate Tongola | June 3rd 2021

Norman Mwongera (in black) returned to the GSU camp in Lamu on Wednesday, June 2, 2021. [Standard]

A member of a multi-agency security team tasked with neutralising Al-Shabaab militants in Lamu County has resurfaced 17 days after he went missing while on mission.

Police Constable Norman Mwongera on Wednesday, June 2 returned to the Basuba GSU camp after a mission to neutralise the insurgent group at their hideout in Mangai area ended in eight law enforcement officers vanishing.

Besides Mwongera, the seven other members of the multi-agency team are yet to be found.

On Wednesday, Mwongera returned to the Basuba GSU camp at 9:40am. He had two gunshot wounds, one in the thigh and another in the arm.

“He was taken to hospital for emergency treatment,” an officer, who is at the Basuba GSU camp, told The Standard in confidence.

Mwongera had his firearms, a Ceska pistol and IWI Negev machine gun, when he returned to the camp.

Another member of the special operations group, who is not mandated to speak publicly on behalf of the team, told The Standard that Mwongera was among ten law enforcement officers, who were responding to an alert after Al-Shabaab militants were reportedly spotted gathering at Mangai area on May 17.

“The militants attempted to thwart the ambush by firing at our helicopter. The aircraft was, consequently, forced to land. Our officers, thereafter, took cover,” he said.

“Unfortunately, eight went missing, with seven yet to be accounted for. Only Mwongera has returned,” he said.

It remains unclear how Mwongera survived for 17 days in the forest.

Two members of the special operations group died during the exchange of gunfire.

Share this story
Daddy's Girl: Journey on being raised by single father
He says she will tell her own story. He wants to tell his, and that of his daughter.
Restoring Nairobi’s iconic libraries
Book Bunk is turning public libraries into what they call ‘Palaces for The People' while introducing technology in every aspect.