Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ready in: 55 minutes
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 2 pieces of leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
• 3 rashers bacon, chopped
• 3 pieces of chicken breast, cut into strips
• ½ cup cooking cream
• 2 egg yolks
• 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
• 1 egg, beaten for glazing
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat your oven to 2000C (gas mark 6), prepare your baking tray by lightly brushing it with some vegetable oil.
2. Heat the vegetable oil over low heat and fry the leeks until soft and lightly golden. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pan, fry the bacon until soft, then remove and set aside. Again in the same pan, fry the chicken strips, cook for about five minutes, remove and set aside.
4. In the same cooking pan, return the leeks, bacon and chicken, then add cream and yolks. Stir over low heat for two minutes, season with salt and pepper and then remove and set aside to cool.
5. On the baking tray, lay one sheet of puff pastry. On it, spread out the chicken and leek mixture, then cover with the remaining puff pastry sheet. Press the edges of the sheet to the baking tin with a fork and prick the pastry with a fork to allow steam to escape while baking.
6. Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg, then bake for 30 minutes or until the top is puffed and golden brown.
Reach Wambui on: [email protected] www.ucreations.co.ke Tel: 0722 489 419