The temperatures have lately been soaring and for some of us, especially those with oily skins, this means constantly dealing with a shiny face. Although you cannot change your skin type, you can certainly do something to improve it. You can alter your beauty regimen to keep it under control. Here are five tips to manage shine.
1. Use lukewarm water: You have probably heard that washing your face with cold water might help tighten the skin and prevent or minimise wrinkles; or that washing your face with steamy hot water will open pores and possibly help your cleansers scrub deeper. Using water that is too hot or too cold may irritate your sensitive facial skin. Hot water dries your skin thereby stripping it of healthy natural oils. It, therefore, causes your skin to compensate by producing more oil. This contributes to that midday shine.
2. Use the right moisturiser: Irrespective of your skin type, always moisturise after washing your face. This will keep your skin vibrant and healthy. Cream-based moisturisers are recommended for people with dry skin, while gel-based moisturisers are beneficial for people with oily skin. Gel moisturisers are absorbed well into the skin and do not leave oily traces.
3. Switch to an oil-regulating cleanser: Cleansers with salicylic acid will work well. However, if you would like to avoid chemicals, look for ingredients such as purifying clay, which will clear pores and manage excess oil. Black soap is natural and reduces oiliness.
4. Blotting paper: This leaves skin refreshed without residue. Use this sparingly to blot any excess oil from your skin. If over-used, your skin will compensate by producing more oil. A one-ply tissue or napkin works just as well as blotting paper when you are in a pinch. It is a good idea to blot instead of piling on more powder as this will look caked and artificial.
5. Commit to weekly masks: Apply a clay mask once or twice a week to draw out impurities. Acne sufferers should opt for sulfur mask, which will simultaneously clear pimples and unclog pores.
6. Use make-up wisely: A primer is to make-up what base coat is to cutex. Apply a good primer before your foundation to act as an antiperspirant. Light setting powders and mineral make-up are better for oily or shiny skin in the hot weather than cream or liquid foundations and pressed powders.
Remember that what you put on your body affects the appearance and health of your skin. Therefore, keep your skin hydrated by drinking plenty of water and limit your intake of saturated fats.
ALSO READ: How to show love to your skin
Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the Eve Digital Telegram channel HERE.