Lawyers for a British newspaper that is being sued for invasion of privacy by Meghan, the wife of Britain’s Prince Harry, have argued that she was content for details of her private life to be made public, citing a recent book about the royal couple.
Meghan, officially titled the Duchess of Sussex, is suing publisher Associated Newspapers over articles the Mail on Sunday printed last year that included parts of a handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father, Thomas Markle, in August 2018.
In documents submitted to London’s High Court on Monday, lawyers for the paper said “Finding Freedom”, a biography of Harry and Meghan published in August, “gives every appearance of having been written with their extensive cooperation”.
After the biography was published, a spokesman for the couple said they were neither interviewed for the book nor contributed to it.
- Judge says Prince Harry can sue UK govt over security plan
- Prince Harry says he made sure queen was 'protected' during recent trip
The Mail’s lawyers say Meghan’s alleged cooperation with the book’s authors is relevant to their defence case because it suggests that she did not object to her privacy being breached as long as she approved of what was being published.
The paper argues that its publication of her letter to her father in Feb. 2019 was justified by Meghan’s own “media fightback”, which consisted of anonymous interviews given on her behalf by five of her friends to the U.S. magazine People.
Meghan denies that her friends were acting on her behalf.
Seeking to formally add the issue of the book to their case, the Mail’s lawyers argued that if its contents were untrue, it was “inevitable” that Meghan would have sued, which she was not doing. That, they argued, suggested that the contents were true.
“This strongly suggests that the authors were given to understand that (Meghan) approved of the book,” they wrote.
The trial is scheduled to start on Jan. 11.