Magoha allays fears of closing down schools for the second time
By Nathan Ochunge and Abigael Chepkemoi | October 24th 2020
Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha (pictured) yesterday allayed fears that the government is considering closing schools again over the surging numbers of Covid-19 cases.
Several schools across the country have reported cases of the virus among students and teachers, just a week after they were reopened. The resumption of classes for Grade Four, Standard Eight and Form Four was to inform how learning will be rolled out for other learners.
“We are happy that the three million learners spread across Form Four, Standard Eight and Grade Four since reporting back to school are in good health and nothing major has so far happened that can lead to closure of schools again,” said Prof Magoha.
He was speaking yesterday at Malava Primary School in Kakamega County while overseeing the distribution of desks.
“We have had a few cases in Mombasa County where three schools have been closed for two weeks. The issue at St Peters Boys Mumias where one student tested positive for Covid-19 has been sorted out. We have taken action and there is nothing to worry about," said Magoha.
Learning in two secondary schools in Mombasa County has been suspended for two weeks after 15 teachers tested positive for the virus.
There are also reports that four teachers from Mama Ngina High School and 11 from Tononoka High School tested positive.
Covid 19 Time Series
Kenya 7s captain Amonde set to hang up his boots after early exit at Tokyo 2020
- Olympics: New Zealand beat Kenya in women’s rugby sevens
- Olympics: Kenyans can relax as there was no typhoon
- Why Kenyan trio may not win 3000m steeplechase tomorrow
Missing student found dead at university grounds
- Raila agrees to share political party billions with Wiper, other parties
- Unknown people were tracking Wycliffe Omwenga
- Fanfare as Raila meets musicians
By Betty Njeru
- Letter from Ithanga: Murang’a’s unexploited agricultural Canaan
By XN Iraki
- The four options for Kalonzo in 2022 succession