Night out that ended life of Ida Odinga's bodyguard

He had accompanied the female companion and male friend when the suspect arrived at 3:30am on Friday and confronted him, moments after they had left a night club.

In the resulting melee, the suspect disarmed Oduor and shot him three times - two times in the head and once in the leg.

Yesterday, details of how the suspect, who is on the run, trailed them from Dondez Club after allegedly spotting them drinking with the woman.

Witnesses told The Saturday Standard that the suspect had left the club where he works to pick up drinks from Dondez when he spotted the three drinking at the pub.

"The suspect was not happy and immediately left the club to return to the club where he works," said a worker at Dondez, who asked not to be named.

He later left his workplace without informing his colleagues where he was going, only to emerge at the woman's residence and found the trio at the estate.

Kisumu County Police Commander Alphonse Kimanthi confirmed the incident saying Oduor had been invited for drinks by his male friend. They spent several hours at the nightclub before leaving for Riat.

He, however, was not aware of an ongoing feud between the suspect and his friend. After reaching the estate where their female friend lived, an argument ensued between the suspect and Oduor's friend. He intervened to stop the arguments.

"There was an argument between the suspect and Oduor. The suspect then grabbed the firearm from him and we only heard gunshots," said a guard at the estate.

Oduor's friend sustained a gunshot wound in the leg and was taken to Aga Khan Hospital in Kisumu where he is recuperating.

A report filed at the Obunga Police Station said the suspect took off with Oduor's firearm.

Ida's head of security David Masaga said they had lost a diligent officer and a colleague.

Another bodyguard who worked with him told The Saturday Standard that he was a diligent worker and a loving brother who was dedicated to his work.

"We have lost a great colleague," said the officer.

His friends mourned him as a friendly, fun-loving and easy-going person who loved and protected his friends.

Despite being a hawk-eyed police officer who was among the trusted aides of ODM leader Raila Odinga's wife, friends described him as a social animal who perfectly juggled work, social and family life.

When he was not working, Oduor spent most of his weekends with friends or at his home in Bondo and was a common face on Kisumu's social scene.

On social media, he referred to himself as "Barrack Jaraha Tho Kinapo", a pointer to his fun-loving nature.

As the news of his gruesome murder continue to reverberate in the region, details of how he spent his last minutes with friends at a local bar in the company of two friends emerged.

He had been invited by his friend for a few drinks at the popular Dondez Club in Kondele. Everything had been okay as they partied in the company of the female friend.

A worker at the entertainment joint said the three had spent several hours at the pub drinking and left at around 3am.

"They ordered drinks and spent the better part of the night at the pub and left," said the work.

Interviews with a number of his friends painted a picture of a man who loved and cherished his friends.

"Barrack was always easy-going and fun-loving. Every time he was in Kisumu, he would invite us for a beer or two at entertainment joints," said one of his friends.