NAIROBI: The family of a man who has been missing for the past three years has gone to court seeking orders to compel the Government to produce him.
Yakub Mahat said his brother Issack Adan disappeared from home and joined the Al Shaabab militia before returning home and surrendering to the authorities after the Government made an appeal.
“Following his surrender and return to Mandera, he was picked up by security officers and taken away while having lunch at his home,” Mr Mahat told the court.
He added: “The family has since been trying to find out what the security officials did with him or where they took him but all their attempts have been in vain.”
Mahat through lawyer Gitobu Imanyara asked High Court Judge Grace Ngenye Macharia to compel the Inspector General of Police, the Director of Criminal Investigations Department and the Director of Public Prosecutions to appear in court and show cause why Mr Adan should not be released.
Mahat said his brother has been missing since December 17, 2012 and has not been seen or heard of since then.
He added that the Government, the National Security Council and the Inspector General of Police have refused and neglected to protect his family by abducting their kin.
“Adan presented himself to the Kenyan security officers on December 17, 2012 and no one has heard from him since then. His whereabouts cannot also be traced, which is the subject of this application,” he said.
Mr Imanyara asked the court to certify the matter as urgent, therefore asking the court to give directions in the case.
Justice Macharia set a mention for the matter next week on Monday, before the duty judge for directions.