Shock as man kills three children at in-laws house
Police are looking for a man accused of storming his in-law's home and shooting dead three children, including his step-daughter, in Elgeyo Marakwet.
The in-laws said, armed with a firearm, David Yano showed up at the home of his father-in-law Anthony Kipsirmo in Kapker village, Marakwet East Constituency, at midnight and demanded to speak to his wife Nancy Jebet, who at the time was not at home.
The couple, according to residents and authorities, separated in March following a feud.
Yano is then said to have forced entry into the house he suspected his estranged wife and their baby were sleeping in and shot dead the three children aged between four and 10 years. He injured two other children and a woman.
Kimaiyo arap Barnaba, a resident of Kapker, said the suspect braved heavy rains and walked 15 kilometres from Kasige village in Tot within the Kerio Valley to the in-laws home.
Mr Kimaiyo said Ms Jebet reportedly got a hint from some of her friends that her husband was plotting to harm her and fled from her parents' home.
For More of This and Other Stories, Grab Your Copy of the Standard Newspaper.
He said the man sprayed 17 bullets on the children and the woman during the attack.
“Jebet was lucky because she fled with her baby on Sunday evening upon receiving information that she was being sought by her husband who had plans to hurt her. She didn’t know that her husband would turn the gun on innocent children,” Mr Kimaiyo told The Standard yesterday.
He added: “Residents have collected 17 spent cartridges at the scene. The suspect went into hiding after the shooting.”
Kimaiyo said it took long to mobilise police officers to pursue the suspect because Korou sub-location where Kapker village is located has had no assistant chief since May, last year.
Embolot Chief Bethuel Kipkore said one of the slain minors aged four is Jebet’s daughter whom she sired with another man before marrying the suspect. The other two children are Jebet’s younger sister and brother.
Mr Kipkore said two of the children gunned down were pupils at Mgeno and Kapchebau primary schools.
“One of the injured is a pre-primary school learner at Kapchebau Primary School while another one is a Form One student at Tot Mixed Day School. They were rushed to Kapsowar Mission Hospital,” Mr Kipkore told The Standard.
Police have launched a manhunt for the suspect.
We are undertaking a survey to help us improve our content for you. This will only take 1 minute of your time, please give us your feedback by clicking HERE. All responses will be confidential.
Man kills three childrenMurderCrime