America issues worldwide terror alert over fears of attack from ISIS, al-Qaeda and Boko Haram
| November 24th 2015
USA: Americans have been issued with a global travel alert over fears of attacks from terrorists around the world.
The US State Department has warned all citizens to be vigilant citing threats from ISIS, al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and "other terrorist groups”.
They have advised everyone to take caution in public places, during holidays and at large gatherings such as sporting matches or concerts.
The alert will expire on 24 February next year, the State Department said.
It comes in the wake of the Paris terror attacks last Friday which claimed the lives of 130 people.
The alert on its website reads:" Current information suggests that ISIL (aka Da’esh), al-Qa’ida, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups continue to plan terrorist attacks in multiple regions.
"These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics, using conventional and non-conventional weapons and targeting both official and private interests.
"Authorities believe the likelihood of terror attacks will continue as members of ISIL/Da’esh return from Syria and Iraq.
"Additionally, there is a continuing threat from unaffiliated persons planning attacks inspired by major terrorist organizations but conducted on an individual basis.
"Extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, and aviation services.
"In the past year, there have been multiple attacks in France, Nigeria, Denmark, Turkey, and Mali. ISIL/Da’esh has claimed responsibility for the bombing of a Russian airliner in Egypt.
"U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using transportation.
"Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowed places.
"Exercise particular caution during the holiday season and at holiday festivals or events.
"U.S. citizens should monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.
"Persons with specific safety concerns should contact local law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety and security of all visitors to their host country."
France is currently in a state of emergency as security is ramped up as the search for one of the Paris attackers Salah Abdesalam continues.
Brussels is also on lockdown after security chiefs warned two ISIS terrorists were poised to launch a gun and bomb massacre.
It is also believed Abdesalam may be hiding there after returning to his homeland following the Paris attacks.
Soldiers and armed response police units flooded have cordoned-off streets and requested 'radio silence' about operations on social media as the measure stretches into its fourth day.
Schools and the underground Metro system are also shut as people are warned not to attend highly populated areas.
Britain has pledged to form two new 5,000-strong strike forces to take on Islamic State terrorists.
David Cameron announced yesterday he will put £12billion aside to create our fastest-ever rapid reaction troops as fears grow of a 10-year campaign.
New military hardware is “vital” at a time “when the threats to our country are growing”, Cameron said, citing the rise of IS as a major reason for the additional purchases.
The Prime Minister added: “We cannot choose between conventional defences against state-based threats and the need to counter threats that do not recognise national borders.
“Today we face both and we must respond to both.”
Last month ISIS claimed responsibility for bringing down a Russian passenger jet in Egypt killing all 224 on board using a bomb disguised as a drinks can.
Black Lives Matter protesters sue over treatment by California policeProtesters and journalists covering a Black Lives Matter rally in Berkeley, California, have filed a lawsuit alleging "unconstitutional police attacks" on attendees, court records showed.
Opening Ceremony: Kenya takes her pride of place as 2020 Tokyo Paralympic Games beginTeam Kenya Paralympics strolled majestically into the Tokyo Olympic Stadium led by captain Rodgers Kiprop and Powerlifter Hellen Wawira for the Openin
Catholic church threatens to return Simba Arati’s Sh100,000 donation
By Eric Abuga
- Court upholds Kinoti’s four-month jail term
- Willy Mutunga: Ruto is a rich man who cuts an image of political hustler
- Court slaps Kamiti Prison escapees with additional 15-month jail term
- Wavinya, Makau clash in church harambee
- New look KTN News: The thinking behind the new logo