+ Post your Story

For Enquiries Chat with us on Whatsapp on 0712 538 802

News
Parents who had cleared fees seek guidance from govt after scrapping of school calendar
By Vincent Kejitan | Updated Jul 08, 2020 at 12:59 EAT
parents-who-had-cleared-fees-seek-guidance-from-govt-after-scrapping-of-school-calendar
Photo/Courtesy
SUMMARY

“I had already paid my boy’s fees for first and second term. The first term was disrupted and from the look of things, there will be no learning this year.

“I agree that schools should not be reopened just yet but what happens to the money we had paid?” she asked.

Education CS Prof George Magoha on Tuesday announced that the 2020 school calendar had been lost due to Covid-19.

This meant that there will be no national examinations this year and schools will reopen in January 2021.

However, some parents had already cleared school fees and wonder how they will be compensated.

Mercy Akinyi, who has a son in high school, said she had already paid fees for the first two terms but has not received any communication from the school’s administration on whether the payment will be carried forward.

“I had already paid my boy’s fees for first and second term. The first term was disrupted and from the look of things, there will be no learning this year.

“I agree that schools should not be reopened just yet but what happens to the money we had paid?” she asked.

Her sentiments were shared by Martin Kiilu who stated that he had also cleared school fees for the entire year.

Earlier, CS Magoha stated that it is also impossible to allow candidates back in school because that may mean there will be two Form One class cohorts in 2021 and equity challenges will arise if only two classes reopen and transition.

“The number of teachers required will increase because secondary schools will have a challenge of having enough teachers, especially for optional subjects, to meet the demand of split classes.

“In Form One, the compulsory subjects are 11, which will necessitate employment of more teachers to handle the Form One double intake cohorts,” said Magoha.

For More of This and Other Stories Subscribe to the Standard Epaper

He also expressed concern regarding intercounty movement especially for those in boarding schools since there will be students travelling from Nairobi, Mombasa and other counties with high rates of infection.

“Since the infection curve is rising as we approach September, many parents have expressed strong reservations regarding sending their children to school.

“The 2020 school calendar year will be considered lost due to Covid-19 restrictions,” he said.

Do you have stories, videos or pictures you would like to share with the world?

Simply click on Post Your Story button placed at the top of the website


Do not miss out on the latest news. Join the UReport Telegram channel HERE.
This is a citizen journalism website. The views expressed here do not represent that of the Standard Group PLC. Read the terms and conditions
COMMENTS
Latest Stories
Popular Stories
Featured Sections
More From This Author