×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Informed Minds Prefer The Standard
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download Now

Brazil's Pele returns to hospital for tumor treatment checkup

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Dec. 1, 2017 file photo, Brazilian soccer legend Pele attends the 2018 soccer World Cup draw in the Kremlin in Moscow. On his social media accounts, Pele said on Monday, Sept. 6, 2021 that an apparent tumor on the right side of his colon had been removed in an operation. AP

Brazilian soccer great Pele has returned to hospital for a routine checkup, his business's manager told Reuters on Thursday, as he undergoes treatment after having a colon tumor removed last year.

Sports TV network ESPN reported earlier in the day that Pele, 81, was back at Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein hospital for new chemotherapy sessions.

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.
Uncover the stories others won’t tell. Subscribe now for exclusive access
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Uninterrupted ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimized reading experience
  • Weekly Newsletters
  • MPesa, Airtel Money and Cards accepted
Already a subscriber? Log in
Football
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
Golf
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
Olympics
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
Unique Sports
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion