Rugby: Strathmore Leos dethrone oilers to win 2022 Embu Sevens
Strathmore Leos are the 2022 Embu Sevens champions.
The university side were crowned champions after defeating defending champions Menengai Oilers 19-12 in the final staged at Njukiri Showgrounds.
Embu Sevens returned after two years of absence caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
In 2019, Menengai Oilers defeated Nakuru 14-12 to win the title.
In the final, Brunson Madigu gave Leos a 7-0 lead before Steve Arunga replied with an unconverted try that reduced the scores to 7-5.
- Strathmore Leos crowned Christie Sevens champions
- Rugby: Kabras Sugar renew rivalry with Menengai Oilers at Christie Sevens
- Kabras Sugar hoping to finally taste some sweetness in Kenya Cup as they face Oilers
- Menengai Oilers ready to fry Kabras Sugar in Kenya Cup final
- The rise of Menengai Oilers, Kenya’s new rugby power house
Strathmore stretched their lead with a try by Philemon Olang but the conversion went wide as the university students took a 12-5 lead at the break.
On return from the break, Amos Onyinkwa landed a try for Menengai Oilers to tie the scores at 12-12 after conversion by Davis Nyaundi.
Glory would however belong to Leos after Barnabas Owuor scored the winner which was converted for a 19-12 win.
Oilers eliminated MMUST 20-12 win in the semifinals to reach the finals while Strathmore Leos saw off Nakuru RFC.
The tournament is being used by clubs as a warm-up for the National Sevens Circuit which is set to kick off later this month with Kabeberi 7s at RFUEA Grounds.