KCB edge Talanta to close gap on leaders Gor, Police bounce back

KCB's Mohamed Kilume (left) and FC Talanta's Danson Mumo during FKF Premier League at Kasarani Annex. Thursday 8, 2023. [Jonah Onyango, Standard]

KCB closed the gap between them and leaders Gor Mahia to two points after seeing off Talanta 1-0 as the FKF Premier League second leg kicked off on Wednesday.

Henry Onyango scored the solitary goal in the second half that saw the bankers move second on 36 points, two behind record Kenyan champions Gor who were held to a 2-2 draw by Nzoia Sugar in Bungoma.

Speaking after the win, KCB head coach Zedekiah Otieno said he was impressed with the result as they bounced back to winning ways.

KCB’s 10-match unbeaten run was ended by AFC Leopards last month before the league took a one-week break to allow teams feature in the FKF Cup. Ingwe saw off KCB 1-0 on February 26.

“We went back to the drawing board after losing to Leopards last month and I am glad that we have been able to pull ourselves out of the mud quickly. It is not always easy when a fine run is disrupted and I am happy my boys listened and our game plan worked,” said Otieno.

At Sudi Stadium, Benson Omalla scored his 18th goal of the season but Nzoia Sugar rallied to hold Gor Mahia to a 2-2 draw.

Austine Odhiambo gave K’Ogalo a third minute lead before Ian Karani restored parity for the sugarmen on the stroke of halftime for 1-1 draw.

In the final half, Omalla scored a 60th minute penalty to restore Gor’s one goal advantage before James Kibande secured one point for Nzoia with a late penalty.

Gor remained top despite the draw on 38 points as Nzoia Sugar dropped to third on 34 points same as defending champions Tusker who narrowly defeated Bandari 1-0.

Leonard Mmata’s sixth minute goal was enough for Robert Matano’s charges who picked a third win in a row for the first time since the beginning of the year.

At Kasarani, Elvis Rupia struck his 13th goal of the campaign as Kenya Police defeated Kariobangi Sharks 3-2 in a five-goal thriller.

Rupia gave Police the lead in the 13th minute before Fortune Omoto restored parity in the 31st minute for a 1-1 tie at halftime.

Former Gor Mahia winger Clifton Miheso restored Police’s one goal advantage as Duke Abuya stretched the lead to 3-1. A late goal by Tyson Otieno could not salvage a point for Sharks who lost their fifth game of the season.

Other results saw Ulinzi Stars edge 10-man Kakamega Homeboyz 1-0 as Sofapaka slowed down Mathare United’s survival push with a 1-0 win.

Who can stop Man City? Challengers need big offseason to set up Premier League title shot
Why Tusker can't afford to stumble
Unique Sports
Premier Club stuns rivals at Nairobi Age Group swimming gala
KPA women just one win from league title in best of five ties