Kisumu Day High School wins Africities Football Challenge
Kisumu Day High School are the Africities Sports Challenge football champion.
The Nyanza Region Secondary School football giants thrashed Ebwali Mixed Secondary School from Vihiga County 3-0 in the finals.
Brian Omondi and Dan Odhiambo scored in the first half to give Kisumu Day a 2-0 lead into the break before Jectha Omondi sealed the title with a third goal in the final half.
Kisumu Day narrowly defeated Awasi 1-0 to glide into the finals as Ebwali knocked out Ambassadors from Kisii 2-1.
While praising the teams for integrity and talents, the coordinator George Nyakundi revealed that the event will be extended to Other counties in the subsequent editions.
- Hockey: Butali Warriors, Kenya Police battle for top spot continues on Sunday
- Basketball: KPA teams pick vital wins in Nairobi
- Rugby: Fijian Kubu, Injera headline Simba's squad to World Cup qualifiers
- "I've dated men and I've dated women too"- Ex Brazil international Richarlyson comes out as bisexual
- Omanyala reigns supreme in 100m at Commonwealth trials
Africities Sports Challenge will replace the annual YY Ambassadors Cup normally organised by Nyakundi who is passionate about grassroots sports development.
“We want to give young footballers who are still in school hope. We want them to know that talent pays and they can get to be the next Victor Wanyamas and Michael Olungas through hard work,” said Nyakundi.
“With support, I believe we can extend the competition to various counties.”
The Most Valuable Player of the tournament was Derick Oketch of Ebwali, The most disciplined team was Prof Anyang' Nyong'o while the most promising team certificates went to Lela high school and Kisumu Boys.