×
App Icon
The Standard e-Paper
Home To Bold Columnists
★★★★ - on Play Store
Download Now

Valencia players walk off field after alleged racial insult

Vocalize Pre-Player Loader

Audio By Vocalize

Valencia told to play on after walk-off over alleged racist insult-Gaya [photo courtesy]

Valencia were told by organisers to resume playing Sunday's La Liga match at Cadiz or they would have to forfeit the points after they had left the pitch when Mouctar Diakhaby complained he had been racially abused, fellow defender Jose Gaya said.

Valencia's players walked off the field in the 29th minute after Frenchman Diakhaby reacted furiously following an altercation with Cadiz's Spanish centre back Juan Cala.

Premium Article

Get Full Access for Ksh299/Week.

Fact-first reporting that puts you at the heart of the newsroom. Subscribe for full access.
Continue Reading  →
What you get
  • Unlimited access to all premium content
  • Ad-free browsing experience
  • Mobile-optimised reading
  • Weekly newsletters & digests
Pay via
M - PESA
VISA
Airtel Money
Secure Payments Kenya's most trusted newsroom since 1902
By AFP 1 hr ago
Sports
Pep Guardiola to leave Man City at the end of the season - reports
By AFP 1 hr ago
Sports
Arsenal on the brink of Premier League title after nervy Burnley win
By Sammy Mose 23 hrs ago
Sports
Kirimi powers to glory at VetLab Club event
Sports
Strathmore Swords bounce back to slice Eldonets in league battle