CAA postpones Africa cross country meet
The African Athletics Confederation (CAA) announced on Wednesday it had no choice but to postpone the continental cross country and track and field competitions.
CAA president Hamad Malboum Kalkaba said the Africa cross country championships set for April 8 in Lome, Togo and the Africa athletics championships in Algiers, Algeria have been postponed indefinitely citing the coronavirus pandemic.
"We have postponed the World Under-20 in Nairobi as well as our African championships that was planned for June in Algiers," Kalkaba said on Wednesday.
The African championships were to be held in Algiers from June 24-28 and will now be staged in the summer of 2021.
Besides, CAA and Togolese government agreed to postpone the Africa cross country championships by one year.
"CAA took the decision to postpone the African cross-country championships of Togo until 2021 and the council meeting until new date to avoid any threat on these events planned in Togo and preserve the health of our athletes and members," said Kalkaba.
At the same time, CAA announced the graduation of 20 international technical officials (ITO) from the African countries, who had participated in a seminar on strategies for the organization of competition for athletics. The countries represented were South Africa, Algeria, Benin, Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mauritius, Mali, Morocco, Niger, Nigeria and Zimbabwe.
Meanwhile, the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) said on Wednesday it welcomed a decision by the Superior Court of Justice of Ontario to dismiss a lawsuit that three Russian cyclists brought against it and investigator Richard McLaren.
The cyclists had been seeking damages over their exclusion from the Rio Olympics after a Wada-commissioned report by Canadian lawyer McLaren found evidence of widespread doping.
- Bundesliga. Ghanaian-born Davies dazzles as Flick betters Guardiola's Bayern recordFootball 10 hours ago
- Harambee Stars defender Eric Ouma suffers injury in training with his Swedish clubFootball 1 day ago
- Kahata explains the difficulties he faced while trying to return to Tanzania for the league resumptionFootball -1 years ago
- Australia's A-league to resume in July - Football Federation AustraliaFootball 1 day ago
- MLS players send new restart proposal to leagueFootball 14 hours ago
- Fans could return for 20-21 season, says Premier League chiefFootball 9 hours ago
- Inter Milan: PSG sign Icardi on permanent deal Football 16 hours ago